[TR] Hood - Misterium Tremendum Sandy Glacier Headwall solo 6/3/2011

YocumRidge

mito, good on you for taking it on, and getting out.

As I looked at your pics and read the story I also was taken back to when I climbed Sandy Headwall (Spring 1995?) but we had less snow and I was with friends, so just a casual adventure.

But the similarity is more between your trip and my solo up N Sister in June 1994? where I dabbled in bivys with no bivy gear for fun and solo night climbing for not-so-fun when the bivy "pleasure" wore off well before sunrise and I was freezing my ass off; I had decided that moving was the only way to stay warm. But night climbing made me take risks I wouldnt take in daylight, and I kind of dropped the whole agenda from my plans for becoming an alpine grandmaster. Still one of my most memorable trips, though, because I learned alot about myself and what was important to me. I bet you did too, hope you don't regret your Sandy trip.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Alex, it took me a couple of days to digest the events but no regrets except I really wish I had brought a tent instead of planning on the "sweet" open bivy at 10K. In the end of the day, my intent was to spend 2 days on the mountain and an extra 2.5 lbs is a reasonable trade off to minimize the pain of the conditions.