[TR] Mt. Baker - Coleman/Deming 6/4/2011

bruce59

Trip: Mt. Baker - Coleman/Deming

Date: 6/4/2011

Trip Report:

I was up on Mt. Baker this weekend with about 50 other climbers and another 50 or so skiers. Weather was great, a little warm, but clear skies with little wind. Brad and I got an early start on Saturday, and reached the campsites at 6000'

around 11am. What to do with 10 hours of daylight left? Brad mentioned building a snow shelter while on another trip, but not using it. I suggested we build one to try it out. And so for the next four hours we took turns digging. I felt like I was twelve years old, smiling from ear to ear. When we finished with our shelter we spent a couple hours reviewing

glacier travel and crevasse rescue technique. Still 4 hours of daylight left. We got up at dawn, after a good nights sleep in our snow shelter. We were on the snow when the sun came over the ridge.

It took us about 5 hours to reach the summit. Snow was perfect on the way up. There were a lot of climbers in front of us and as many behind. On the way down we started postholing around 7000'. We glissaded the last few hundred feet to our camp at 6000'. After picking up around camp, we postholed and glissaded down to the trees, where the snow was much firmer, and the walk out was pretty fast. The climbing wasn't to difficult, the snow shelter was memorable.

The view from 6000' camp

Mt_Baker_007.jpg

Mt_Baker_015.jpg

Our snow shelter

Mt_Baker_018.jpg

Mt_Baker_021.jpg

Brad takes a break.

Mt_Baker_010.jpg

Sunset

Mt_Baker_025.jpg

Mt_Baker_031.jpg

Settled in for the night

Mt_Baker_036.jpg

Other tents at the 6000' el.

Mt_Baker_041.jpg

View on the way up

Mt_Baker_045.jpg

The final headwall

Mt_Baker_050.jpg

Summit views

Mt_Baker_056.jpgMt_Baker_053.jpg

The descent

Mt_Baker_061.jpg

One last look.

Mt_Baker_062.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ice is definitely going. It has beer really warm and sunny up there. The second tier on the polish route looked especially thin, as in not touching down. The Cosley-Houston route looked a bit better, but there is a lot of snow high on the route.