[TR] Index - Blues Cliff - Starfish (5.9) 6/4/2011

DRep

Trip: Index - Blues Cliff - Starfish (5.9)

Date: 6/4/2011

Trip Report:

Living in the Sky Valley for the majority of my life I was always able to sneak out and climb some great granite at Index. I didn't take this for granted but I always was able to avoid the crowds. Last summer I got married and moved to Snoqualmie and am now an hour and a half away, which makes it a little bit difficult to get to Index. I will admit that I am thoroughly spoiled by Index because I can't stand exit 38 even though it is in my backyard.

On Saturday Corene and I pulled into the LTW parking lot and saw cars parked on the street and realized we would most likely not be climbing any classic routes on the lower wall. I figured it would be fun to go climb something off the beaten path. Starfish on top of Blues cliff would be the best bet to avoid the crowds.

The Starfish is an amazing 5.9 face climb on top of Blues Cliff. You have to rapell into it from the Mid-wall trail and climb back out which is unusual for Index and gives the climb a feel of being on the Upper Wall. The route consists of stright incut holds on vertical to overhanging rock a-typical for Index.

This should be a crowded climb but surprisingly nobody goes there. Come on people get off the LTW and go climb some other stuff! There are fantastic routes on the surrounding cliffs!

Photos:

Follow the UTW trail until it branches off onto the Mid-wall Blues Cliff trail.

Starfish_043.jpg

Follow the trail and take a right at the fork.

Starfish_041.jpg

Scramble through the boulders and deadfall following a faint trail.

Starfish_039.jpg

Look for the chains at the top of Blues Cliff right before the bridge in the sky.Starfish_002.jpg

Starfish_019.jpg

Starfish_0071.jpg

Different rock.

Starfish_015.jpg

Corene

Starfish_023.jpg

Corene being Corene

Starfish_037.jpg

Starfish_038.jpg

:brew: Thanks Chris Henson for a great route!

Another great route exists to the left of this one called The Niner (5.10a). 35m to anchors at the bottom.

Gear Notes:

Consists of 4-5 bolts and gear to 1". 30m to chains.

Edited by DRep

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are welcome Gene.

A great moderate circuit would be to climb:

GNS or Aries 5.7

Timberjack and Gorilla My Dreams 5.8 & 5.10

Plumb Pudding and other Midwall climbs 5.9 - 5.10

Starfish and the Niner 5.9 & 5.10

Salamander 5.9

I did this circuit a couple years ago and it was alot of fun. On a crowded day on the LTW I'm sure you would get more climbing in on the circuit. By the time the circuit is complete the LTW should be cleared out!