North Fork Crag

Eric K

Has anyone been out to the North Fork Crag, at North Bend. Was looking in the Rock Climbing Washington book and it looks cool but never hear about it. Is it clean, are the bolts in good shape, hows the approach? Thanks for the info and let me know if you want to explore and find some hard stuff to climb.

Eric

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

park where the book says at 14. something miles, but then hike up the clear cut on the opposite side of the road (right side if driving in) and you can see across the river and get a view of the monster cave. That will be neccassary to get your barings, most definetly. now, either draw a straight line and go for it (which is what I would reccomend) or try to navigate it some other way. It is a serious mission- don't give up! There is NO trail and the creeks back there change the landscape often. I have had two failed attempts because I didnt draw a straight line. I would reccomend bringing water shoes, or surfing booties for the river crossing. If the river is too deep you may have to go the long way around further down the road and cross the bridge, park, traverse back in and up. There is still an OLD rope hanging down from the lip of the cave and that thing is most definetly garbagio. actually now that I think about it- I think you drive to the next clearcut past where you would normaly park and hike up that clearcut to get a view... (only 10 secs drive and 5 min walk up the hill)

Edited by Frankazoid

I was out there almost 2 years ago. Let me get the story straight though- I never did make it there. I feel confident that I would be able to make it next time though. I would be interested in going out there sometime. I'll catch ya on whatever, maybe climb the 11's myself. Iv'e got a nightmare wrist that is acting up again so... I'm available this coming thurs-sun. PM me if your interested. Are you good with a compass? Once you know how to get there, it won't tkae as long for future trips. it's a relitivly short distance.

I've called the North Bend Ranger station and confirmed that the North Fork County Rd is open the entire stretch. So, North Fork Crag is a go!! Perhaps we could make a new trail?? Frank, are you in?

After flagging it, perhaps we could get a posse to stomp it in proper. I'm also guessing that any draws or webbing type gear is probably in need of replacement.

Ben

Of course i'm in! Lets do it!

Ben,

can you make it fri, sat or sun? I have a chainsaw (which) can be brought out later if needed), handsaws, loppers, hand pruners... A new trail would be absolutley Scrumtrelescent! Lets find that damn thing!

Eric,

you still hyped?

-Frank

When I was up there a couple of years ago, there was a lot of fixed tat that was super sketchy. The bolts also seems a little suspect in a few places. The 11s kind of sucked. There was a fun 12b/c? (something like that) and a really cool mid 13, seemed similar in difficulty to chronic. I didn't really think it was worth the 45 minute bushwack, and didn't go back. I could see it becoming a worthy destination if people put some work into it.

If your gonna a make a new trail. it might be easier to go past the old trail about a mile and go over the river on a bridge and back track on the crag side of the river. I remember an old hunters tent that way so there might be a small trail. Its about 5 minutes longer, but you dont have to cross the river. All that fixed tat held my falls when i did those routes 7-8 years ago, so they must be still good. or just put new webbing on. if you go out there, i left a rope up, feel free to use it, its still good. i remember some potential for new climbs on left side of "the deep end", but my memory might be fading.

josh

I went to this place a fair number of times in the early to mid 90's.

A few things I remember

We used to have fixed shoes in place for the river crossing.

A decent trail used to go to the crag, the trail went around some beaver dams. With the good trail, the approach was fast.

If you do "The Goods" (12c)use super long draws or watch for a nasty edge that could really cut your rope in the event of a fall.

The crag seeped in places pretty bad but was a good summer hangout and place to climb in July and August.

At one time, the hype for the future for this place nearly surpassed World Wall 1.

A bonfire and rope swing fun made for some enjoyable entertainment.

Bryan's 13 would be a classic at any crag.

Four years ago I went out to attempt climbing at the NF crag with my buddy Patrick. Following the road mileage dictated in Smoot's directions (15 miles) we arrived in a massive clearcut with no sign of former markings for the original trail. But, based on our position we knew that the beaver pond was near at hand. Crossing the clearcut in a Northerly fashion we descended slightly and made out the beaver pond. From there we traversed the clearcut West to the point where we ran into the old trail, which was in relatively good shape. It in turn took us down to the Western end of the pond. Across from the outlet to the pond the climbers trail turns left (NW) but an old logging path lead on wards (easterly; upstream). After continuing down the logging path we backtracked, took the other fork, and found ourselves at the main crossing of the NF of Snoqualmie. Bravely, we waded the frigid waters in flippy flops. Dead end: to our chagrin we scouted up and down the river looking for the faintest thread of a trail. There was none to be found. It had been swallowed in Devil's club and other spikey types of flora. In total, we spent 4.5 hours, but in the end went to little si. From our position across the river we could see the NF crag sitting aways upstream in a NE direction, taunting us.

Yesterday I went out with Frank to try another approach... we kept driving past the 15 mile mark and shortly after crossed two different bridges taking us over to the North side of the Snoqualmie. After scouting entry points along the road we dove into the underbrush. For 2.5 hours we battled our way downstream, keeping the river within ear shot. Time upon time we would run into small meandering footpaths either made by animals or hunters. 30 minutes in, we came across some really impressive old growth trees. There were also old sections of logging roads that provided reprieve from the mundane task of crawling over and down trees and clawing through underbrush. At the halfway point the ridge makes a small promontory close to the river and forces one up an obvious path; if you get to this point you will pick up the path that we flagged on our way back. Flagging is somewhere in the neighborhood of every 45 feet and vaguely follows an old logging rd which crosses a small drainage before angling slowly up to the crag.

Back to the story... when hope receded to the slightest glimmer, we ran into the old trail (which we hit perpendicular). Ten minutes later we were exploring this long forgotten crag. The old base in the Cave is now a Jungle, the firepit it gonzo, and the routes were seeping pretty good. The 11a's on the right looked climbable. The 12's on the far left down and below the Deep end were a bit grown and wet. But, fortunately, the routes from the Goods to the Deep end looked pretty dry. After refueling and donning a change of clothes I managed a 2nd try ascent of The Deep End. Climbing off the airy belay ledge was a little nerve wracking. The bolts looked ok and the draws were hanging... but, there is something a little spooky about climbing on that overhanging fractured metamorphic stuff knowing that years have gone by since it had seen action. Unfortunately, Frank's wrist was bugging him and he opted to forgo any climbing.

With a bit of work I think this new approach could be done in 40 minutes. Yeah, there isn't that much climbing up there. But, the few good routes make it worth it in my opinion. The Route Bad Animal looked awesome.

Sorry if this point was a bit rambly. Recommendations: get an early start, where long pants, bring poles, a machete, deet, boots, long sleeve shirt, and be patient. Eventually, you too will make it!

Just like it sounds, buddy was hiking to the top of the cliff to manifest his destiny and this thing vocalizes with much vigor from the trees above, scaring the crap out of him. The unseen creature then preceded to rearrange the forest getting out of the area, howling the whole way, leaving buddy in a state of quandry: continue the mission or abort.

Buddy stayed the course and hiked to the top of the cliff where he discovered what he described as "a huge pile of steaming human looking shit".

Suddenly very interested in leaving the area, our friend fired up his bosch and fixed his lines to the ground.

Maybe not so compelling to some, this incident left a strong impression on buddy, who is not one to exaggerate. Believe what you will, my friend knows what he believes.

I think we should get a few of us together for a crag rehab day. Ben, Frank, would you guys be willing to lead the way to the crag. I still have never been but it cool to see a old crag come back to life. I dont have a job right now so I have lots of free time. Is anyone up for some work, when?

Eric

I think we should get a few of us together for a crag rehab day. Ben, Frank, would you guys be willing to lead the way to the crag. I still have never been but it cool to see a old crag come back to life. I dont have a job right now so I have lots of free time. Is anyone up for some work, when?

Eric

Eric,

Franks in Montana for a couple months. I've got other projects on my radar right now, but I'm more than willing to clarify anything if the approach sounds confusing. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to follow our original route to a t, but upon reaching the ridge where the flagging starts it becomes quite clear.

I'd recommend a machete, clippers, more flagging, and a change of clothes. Have fun!!

Ben