How do you go poopy in a zip-lock bag?

Dennis_Harmon

I haven't been on Mt Rainier since the NPS enacted the requirement that everyone go do-do in plastic bags and pack them out. I have lots of questions about the techniques required and am asking for answers. What if the bag ruptures inside your pack on the way in and covers the rope and gear with feces...should you bail, or just ignore the problem? What if your partner gets shit on his or her hands while crapping in the bag...and insists on cooking dinner? Is it advisable to wait to go until just before sleep...so you can use the fecal-baggie as a foot warmer? Do you have to return the stool to the NPS...or can you take it home as a souvenir? What if your partner gets tired and asks you to carry all the shit...should you do it or let him die? Any answers would be appreciated. Dennis

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of seeming like an expert in this matter, here goes:

Don't actually shit in the bag. Do it on the ground or snow than pick it up with the bag, turn it inside out, and pack it out that way. As I recall the rainier bags come complete with secondary bag, kitty litter, and so you should be pretty safe from ruptures, smell, etc. unless you are unduly rough with the package. Imagine the ignominity of taking a fall only to find out your gear is covered in the stuff...

This method of course if for the individual user; for expedition/group use more creative direct deposit methods are usually employed ( with a bigger bag).

Whatever you do don't trust the cleanliness of your teammates, much less their hands.

I can't beleive it took a question like this get me to post.. [Cool]

BigWaveDave, I quote, "Don't actually shit in the bag. Do it on the ground or snow then pick it up with the bag, turn it inside out, and pack it out that way." -Maybe I don't fully understand the procedure... but if I scoop the feces into the bag and then turn the bag inside out, won't all the shit fall right back out and get my hands all icky. Sounds like you know more than me though, so I'll try it. Dennis

there's another way to do all this, we tried it recently on the Kautz route of Rainier...you dig a hole about the size of your toilet back home, then take a large trash bag and put it inside the hole, pinning to the snow with tent stakes or whatever. Now you got yourself a portable shitter...very convenient. Afterwards, just wrap it up in several more bags and you're good to go...

quote:

Originally posted by klenke:

Is that how you guys do it up in Canada, Dru?

Why not use duct tape instead of a cork? Duct tape works for everything (except for fixing ducts; bowel ducts excluded).

I got the idea from this weeks "Maakies" - see Maakies for details as this is one cartoon I will not be posting for fear of offending someone or other...

In Canada, there is no mountain you have to carry your shit out with you from.

Incidentally I find the broad leaves of devils club most useful for TP if by chance you run out. But you gotta wipe with the spiny side out!!! [Eek!]