Boots for Climbing

Cosmos

I'm planning on doing the Mt. Adams South climb in July and was wondering if my normal hiking boots would be fine with strap on crampons and gaiters. I really don't want to rent the heavy uncomfortable plastic boots nor buy some expensive quality leather mountaineering boots. Thanks!

Here are my boots http://www.rei.com/product/788741/merrell-chameleon-3-ventilator-mid-gore-tex-hiking-boots-mens

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for for your boots but I have friends that have done Adams in similar boots and it was ok. Not ideal as jeff said. My local shop in Portland the mountain shop rents leather boots that would be better for pretty cheap. I might look in to something like. This is a good way to demo a pair for a future purchase also.

Edited by chris54

In my opinion normal hiking boots are ideal for Mt. Adams for hiking in good weather. Mt. Adams is a long slog and I would not recommend doing it in rented boots that will be heavier than you need and likely not fit well.

The key is to have flexible crampons that fit well and stay on. In your case, however, the rounded edge of the sole on the boot you picture looks like it may not fit crampons well so I would first confirm you can hike in these with crampons and that they won't come loose after awhile.

Edited by pcg

I've done Adams a couple of times, both in leather boots (Danner gortex), they weren't ideal but did the trick. The first time I went up Adams two of the guys in my group went up in running shoes. It was abnormally warm and most of the snow was melted off that year. I would NOT recommend doing that but it worked for them. I think that the boots that you have should work great (if they will work with your crampons that is). I just picked up a pair of Asolo boots from REI: http://www.rei.com/product/694262/asolo-tps-535-hiking-boots-mens and that is what I'll be taking up Adams this year.

In general, soft boots or shoes are a poor match with crampons. Nor, to my knowledge, is there really any such thing as a "flexible" crampon, certainly not as intended by any manufacturer. If you have bendy boots, you`re defeating the whole purpose of crampons, which is to offer a firm platform for the foot, and the body, to stand on, on a hard, sloped surface. Its one thing to have a lower cut boot to facilitate the proper use of the French technique in cramponing, where you might need ankle flexibility on steeper slopes. But, in that technique, if the sole of the boot is too soft and flexible, or wants to roll to one side or the other, it wont work, and could even be a real hazard. For my money, anytime youre going up a peak the size and height of Adams, youre going to want to be prepared for a full range of snow and ice conditions, because you can see anything, at any season. There are lightweight climbing boots that serve the purpose, but a soft hiking shoe isnt one of them. Maybe in other years, as when theres not much snow, you can get away with it. But this has been a BIG snow year, and Ill bet, unless things really warm way up in a big hurry, well see full-on conditions until well into the summer, and youre going to feel, and be, a hell of a lot more secure with a good match of boots to your crampons.