Mt Hood

KirkW

Planning a visit to the summit early the morning of the 30th. Looking for beta on snow/ice conditions for the South side routes - anyone been up since the warm temps started last week? Snow conditions on the Old Chute looking consolidated?

If anyone is heading up this weekend, could you please take some pics/notes and post back here? Pints of gratitude for your efforts...

On 3/26/2019 at 4:10 PM, AlecE said:

It's in good shape, likely will be for about 2 months. Was up Sat and Sun. 

Nice. Thanks for the info. Looks like we'll get a little break in this salty but not severe weather late Friday and early Saturday. We'll see!

• 2 weeks later...

Not really worthy of a TR as it is climbed so very often, but I went up the Old Chute route on March 30th with a buddy. I figured I should return the beta favor above and put up some pics, with the goal of at least stoking the fire for others. We took advantage of a clearing weather window that opened just before midnight the 29th, was supposed to last around 12 hours, and ended up lasting 2 days. Typical Hood day of leaving the parking lot bivy around 1:45 am, climbing under a sea of stars, 3-10 degrees F until the sun came up, summiting in the morning hours, returning in the early afternoon under sun and 50s-60s. Made a half-dozen new friends breaking trail through the Old Chute... the really fun side of a "social route". Snow conditions were *perfect* for climbing/glissading/sliding/shenanigans, with all of the upper mountain wiped clean by the hash of light storms earlier that week. Plenty of skiers and snowboarders making it look reallllll good on the way down. People appeared on the summit from seemingly every aspect while we hung out on the summit. A+ day.

Some pics:

Climbing under starlight/headlights:

IMG_0978.thumb.JPG.ccd8d263b022f30e499b4c5b6d24629e.JPG

Just before sunrise near Devil's Kitchen:

IMG_0988.thumb.JPG.7b2c551a48811ac0cb18c4dcb0c26b4f.JPG

Sunrise mountain shadow from the Hogsback:

IMG_1005.thumb.JPG.695eacdd3c80dc66a06501f9d60ef8ed.JPG

Looking down from our lookout/ski hide-away just under the Old Chute finish:

IMG_1012.thumb.JPG.01b9d9fd515af8d208f48562cc143668.JPG

Summit views to the North:

IMG_1039.thumb.JPG.316ac26a161783c75fe408c8973a52f4.JPG

My buddy Max down-climbing the steepest bit of the Old Chute:

IMG_1068.thumb.JPG.b854de8a44b6ae16b23795a6f0afeb91.JPG

So many routes were re-opened that day! Tracks leading to/from many of the more technical South Side routes:

IMG_1080.thumb.JPG.9f5916ac3bc7640dd22dd5f7ac0edf53.JPG

15 hours ago, jk7 said:

Trying to take advantage of what looks like a solid weather window saturday and sunday.  Any advice for a first timer on the Hogsback and conditions to expect?  Thanks all!

Here’s a pic from a sun break on the Palmer webcam today. After the long storm it looks well covered up there.  Probably no open bergshrund concerns. 

With the sun breaks and some more freeze thaw, hopefully the snow will be well consolidated. Sunday’s weather forecast and the lower freezing level look lovely for climbing.

A second tool is recommended for beginners, or for the surprise icy section. Have fun!

F8910E73-C3B9-4F23-8710-EF67FB05BDDD.jpeg

Edited by Nolan E Arson

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there's lockers a person can rent near/around the Timberline Lodge.  I'm thinking about riding my motorcycle down from Vancouver Island this weekend for a quick blast up the standard route and need a place to safely store my helmet/riding gear.  Thanks.

Edited by Bigtree
Corrected typo.

On 7/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, Bigtree said:

Does anyone know if there's lockers a person can rent near/around the Timberline Lodge.  I'm thinking about riding my motorcycle down from Vancouver Island this weekend for a quick blast up the standard route and need a place to safely store my helmet/riding gear.  Thanks.

Bring a duffle and bag check it at Timberline Lodge.

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2019 at 10:48 PM, kadyakerbob said:

We climbed up the south side and down and around to check out the Elliot Headwall.  The N. Side still looks like it needs one more dusting of snow to hold things together and some colder temps.  

F418599B-97FB-4E88-BADB-911EEA6BFAF1.jpeg

Thanks, you have confirmed my suspicions!

On 11/13/2019 at 10:48 PM, kadyakerbob said:

We climbed up the south side and down and around to check out the Elliot Headwall.  The N. Side still looks like it needs one more dusting of snow to hold things together and some colder temps.  

F418599B-97FB-4E88-BADB-911EEA6BFAF1.jpeg

Was the schrund exposed under the old chute on the South side? If so, how exposed was it - and would you expect a snow bridge over it with the incoming snow? I am planning to use it as a descent from either Cooper Spur or Reid Headwall next week, and wanted to get an idea as to the risk involved (or if I should descend Cooper Spur instead). 

Edited by Artem Vasilyev

22 minutes ago, Artem Vasilyev said:

Was the schrund exposed under the old chute on the South side? If so, how exposed was it - and would you expect a snow bridge over it with the incoming snow? I am planning to use it as a descent from either Cooper Spur or Reid Headwall next week, and wanted to get an idea as to the risk involved (or if I should descend Cooper Spur instead). 

I am not aware of a bergschrund  forming beneath the old chute so you shouldn't have issues descending there. One almost surely extends under the Pearly Gates right now and might be easy to cross or end run but I'd avoid a downclimb of that if you haven't looked or don't get a report.

There is likely an open 'schrund at the head of the Reid right now, as well as other open cracks. If you go up the Reid post a TR, I'd love to see what it looks like this early. 

50 minutes ago, diepj said:

I am not aware of a bergschrund  forming beneath the old chute so you shouldn't have issues descending there. One almost surely extends under the Pearly Gates right now and might be easy to cross or end run but I'd avoid a downclimb of that if you haven't looked or don't get a report.

There is likely an open 'schrund at the head of the Reid right now, as well as other open cracks. If you go up the Reid post a TR, I'd love to see what it looks like this early. 

This late season photo is the one that I am referencing - it seems that there is a large schrund underneath the old chute which is typically filled in but could be exposed late season. I was worried about taking a fall into it on the descent if a shallow snow bridge were to form over it

IMG_0846.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No beta on the cool routes but took a romp up the old chute on Saturday.  Conditions were good on the mazama chute (right hand) variation.

Mainly posting to politely ask that people not climb these routes roped up without pro. I thought we were past the age of shenanigans like that but apparently not.

Edited by diepj

• 6 months later...

Found someone's phone (large, black case, not Apple) above Crater Rock almost directly below the old Chute.  Was probably only there for one day, so most likely lost on the 4th.  I gave it to the Timberline Lodge front desk for their lost and found.  Hopefully the owner sees this!  Feel free to cross post if there is another forum for this kind of thing.

• 6 months later...