Climbing without a permit on St. Helens

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

can't find uber specific nor aware of the specific federal reg you'd be cited with if choosen to be enforced.

but have read $500, heard someone mention a few hundred dollars, and a quote that a waitress at Jack's (in couger) said $1000.

as far as being checked, sounds like a total rarity.

I'd never climb during the $$ period but I wouldn't really worry about it, and I'd plead ignorance, assume that WILDERNESS permit was THE permit. Not have any ID on me, and suggest friends dropped me off and will be back in the evening or something.

every permit includes a mandatory $5 donation to mt st helens instute for jack shit. They make $50,000-65,000 off the permit process each year (look at how many are sold, * $5/permit).. all to supposedly maintain the trail. total racket.

Go on a weekday and you shouldn't have a problem. They can generally only afford to have rangers out on the weekends, and usually only the busy ones.

That being said, I skied it last Tuesday, and on the way down there were two women in what looked like FS uniforms camped at Chocolate Falls. We took an alternate route around the falls, so we were basically past them before they realized we were there. One of them shouted something as we skied by, but I just waved, pointed to my ears as if I were listening to tunes (still had my helmet on), and we skated like madmen down the gully. I don't know if they were checking permits, but we didn't feel like finding out...

The above should not be construed as an admission of poaching...of course we had permits. Of course.

Edited by Rootsman