Overboot+Crampon nightmare

TheNumberNine

Hey guys,

I leave for Denali in two weeks and my overboot situation is driving me insane.

I originally bought some grivel g12 hybrid crampons and got some OR brooks ranger overboots from someone here on CC. The OR boots don't do too well with the leverlock in the heel so I decided to go to REI and get some Petzl full strap crampons. When I go to put them on the f*cking strap isn't long enough to handle my boot plus overboot. Now I'm thinking I should get some 40 below overboots...

Do you think petzl would send me some sort of longer crampon strap? Should I just rig up my own strap system with some webbing?

This is driving me nuts..

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

have you tried to cut out some padding in the overboot where the lever would dig in? (the pointy bottom part of the crampon lever)

If the offending part of the overboot is where the top part of the lever snaps forward, then you may need new overboots. But you may have the same issues.

I would try the longer strap option first. Give the NA distributor a call quick.

What Gene said, take out the inner foam liner and cut a notch in it where your crampon lever will meet the heel welt of your boot, might take a couple of tries to get the right amount trimmed, but worked great for my OR Brooks Rangers and Nepal Extremes.

Or try a longer strap. If you can't get one you can just find a piece of webbing the right size (Seattle Outdoor Fabrics if the local gear shop doesn't have a skinny enough width). You can tie it on the old strap for extension or replace the old one. Use yer noggin and it should be an easy fix. Or go buy new overboots if you'd rather go the $$ route. :-)

What these guys said. I have the exact set-up you described and fixed it the exact way these guys explained. Just cut a big notch in the insulation. Cut less at first because you can always go back and cut out more. Works like a charm. (I can show you a picture of mine if you want).

I called and spoke with Joel from Forty Below today. That guy is awesome to talk to... He really knows his stuff. He told me about that overboot modification option but I just decided I'd rather go with some forty below purple haze overboots. I've had enough of dealing with these OR ones... If anyone wants a brand new set of XXL brooks rangers (OR sent new ones), I'll hook you up.

Thanks for the good luck.. it's been a gnarly season up there so far this year...

And Dane... I'm going with some good old scarpa invernos. I had some koflach artic expes but they didn't fit right so I had to sell them and bought some invernos. They fit pretty well and I think they should do the trick.

Just wanted to chime in... the 40 Below overboots are a piece of gear that I felt like I wouldn't use - however I find I use them all the time on expeditions. On any Alaska trip you end up with lots of tent time and the overboots and booties are a welcome change from your regular boots. I find I'm in mine all the time.

Make sure you stick an extra layer of blue foam in your down booties for added insulation else your feet will get a little cold.

Good luck. Here's a pic from the 17 ridge taken a week ago.

wf_dena201117.jpg