Moving things to college?

rocketparrotlet

poor guy. Asks for info on moving his shit, and everyone's already trying to get him to switch schools. lolzers!

I'll probably just leave my guitar here. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone at RPI, selling all their stuff to get out of the hellhole. I'm sure I'll find something cheap up there.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

Congrats on getting accepted at two fine schools! Like others have said, you'll have the Gunks, the 'Daks, NH ice climbing is rad, and as ivan said, Mt. Washington in winter ain't the foodcourt. From experience, this I know...

On the other hand, my father in law went to RPI and was one of the most influential civil engineers in the country.
Being a CE meseff, I'd be keen to know who your FIL is, Dan. Please elaborate. PM is fine if you want to keep his ID a secret. :)

I grew up in Maine and went to school in Oregon. I flew there with two 49lbs bags, a full backpack and another carry-on (look up the maximum carry-on size allowed and fill it to that limit). I also shipped my bike, and put some stuff in that box. Then I collected a bunch of shit over 4 years, and managed to pack a small car full of it and drive home. I shipped two boxes home (FedEx) before I drove, each weighing around 40lbs, then I shipped 2 or 3 boxes also weighing 30-40 lbs via USPS using their rates for sending books.

Also, when I left OR I moved my bike and 3 different pairs of skis plus all my climbing shit. So I had some stuff.

The trick is to send it all (to a certain extent, just the heavy shit) via USPS doing the library rate or whatever they call it. They say it can only be books or paper, but as long as it looks and feels damn heavy and does not make a noise when you shake the box they won't know. In stead of paying like $100 for 40 or 50lbs of stuff the book rate is like $30.

Some tips.

Don't bring a lot of shit. You don't need that much stuff if you are going to be in the dorms for a few years. That means you don't need to bring like 15 pairs of pants, unless you have some weird medical condition that makes you sweat more than anybody else, or unless you still piss your pants (getting drunk and pissing them is ok).

Personally I would be careful bringing really expensive musical instruments to college, just because of the safety/theft issue (luck of the draw if your roommate is a moron who leaves the door open all the time), and also think about the time you will have. You probably won't have time to climb, slay hood rats, learn, and practice 4 different musical instruments.

Get good at the game Tetris, because it will make packing 10x easier.