Moving things to college?

rocketparrotlet

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably just packing it into two 50lb bags and paying the fee if you are flying would be the easiest and not too much more expensive than other options that are way less convenient.

There are freight forwarding services (Forward Air, Pilot Air, etc)out there that you can use to ship big, heavy items but you normally have to drop off the stuff at their shipping depots (normally near airports) and pick them up yourself. I shipped kayaks (~9ft, 60lbs)to NY (Albany) and back and it was ~$110 per boat each way.

I've also heard of people shipping via Greyhound and/or Amtrak but haven't heard any first-hand info on cost/speed/reliability relative to other options.

RPI? Transfer somewhere decent now.

Seriously that school is a hellhole. If you are hell bent on a - hellhole, go Greyhound. Reasonably priced shipping for bags - I'd take the musical instrument somewhere else. Like another school, because RPI frowns on creativity.

Well, it was this school or Colorado School of Mines, and I did not get a good feeling from the local people in Colorado...too many hippies, even less girls (believe it or not) and I have a few negative experiences with people from Colorado, but no positive experiences.

But they aren't enough to overcome Upstate New York being where dreams go to die.

Elaborate please.

Mark,

Both RPI and CSM are excellent schools. Congratulations on being accepted to both, it is quite an accomplishment.

My family is from Colorado and my uncle went to the School of Mines and now my cousin, Dr. Ryan O'Hayre, teaches there. If you want to talk to Ryan about the local scene there I'd be happy to arrange an introduction. He is a climber and nice kid in addition to being a top fuel cell technology researcher.

Dan

Edited by DPS

Well, it was this school or Colorado School of Mines, and I did not get a good feeling from the local people in Colorado...too many hippies, even less girls (believe it or not) and I have a few negative experiences with people from Colorado, but no positive experiences.

But they aren't enough to overcome Upstate New York being where dreams go to die.

Elaborate please.

Take the most self-centered people from SoCal, drain the beach, sprinkle in some truly kooky kristianity, and you've got Colorado. What a throw-back state.

congrats on getting into both schools! It can be difficult to choose where to go and what to do given you're living your experience and not looking back on it, like a lot of the opinions you're getting here.

As an eastern half of the US flatlander native, on the outdoors basis alone, I'd suggest going to colorado over new york. The east has spots of adventure, but just can't come close to the scope and variety of the west. Though the NE is probably my choice for anywhere east. You'd be a 4-5hr drive from the whites and sure a lot closer to the adirondaks.

As far as girls at college yada yada.. i mean, if you're going to an engineering school either way, consider half your classmates at least will have terrible social skills and be unable to effectively communicate with girls. I wouldn't really worry about the male to female ratio when going somewhere for college unless it is some micro-school far off in the sticks. CSM is in metro denver area. between nonschool events, interwebs, climbing networking, i don't think you're going to feel like you're on commercial fishing boat the whole time you're in school--women will come. the women factor has more to do with you than the number of them (to a point).

have fun, congrats again, and enjoy-wonderful transition time in life, imho, you can have one foot still in youthful indescretion and another into the autonomy of adulthood. Just do your best to balance the youthful decision making having adulthood consequences. :P

Not a bad place

Troy isn't? Maybe if you are comparing it to Aberdeen, WA. I love the 'daks and New England is nice too. It's just Troy sucks as a place. I'm not sure if Water considers Albany-Schnectady "the sticks" or not.... I do. Nuclear weapons should be deployed. Certainly not the same planet as Denver if you are looking for anyone interested in the outdoors.

That outsourcing thing? It happened to New York. Pretty much every part outside NYC. Jobs, Dreams, People under 30, all gone. I went to school in Western, NY starting in the mid-90s when it was a relative bright spot - now it's been rust belted.

Both are good schools with good reputations; I'd suggest if you are interested in the outdoors and climbing something other than RPI might provide with better future possibilities of melding work and a decent recreational existance

Ignore the peanut gallery. Life is what you make of it. I did time in upstate New York and loved it. You'll be close to VT, NH, the Gunks, the Daks, ice climbing, mountain biking, etc. Life ain't all about the size of the mountains in your backyard.

Congrats on getting into a good school, and if you're jonesing for a little alpine fix go check out Katahdin in central Maine.

Congrats on getting into a good school, and if you're jonesing for a little alpine fix go check out Katahdin in central Maine.

x2 - that thing's fucking badass - mt washington in winter is hardly the foodcourt at your local mall either :)

Thanks for the advice guys. It was a tough decision for me to make, but I figured that RPI is 3 hours from Boston, where I used to live, and I'd like to move closer to a place I know and like. Troy is a crappy city, admittedly, but that's okay- I really liked the campus at RPI. On the other hand, Golden is a great city, but I didn't feel like I'd be spending too much time on campus there.

For the people that think I should transfer, the deadline for making a decision was May 1st. If I hate RPI, I'll apply to some other schools and transfer somewhere else, but I don't think that will happen. I've got a pretty good scholarship to there too.

The Adirondacks are an hour from Troy. That's as close as any climbing is to me now in Everett. I know it's not Colorado, but there's still plenty of climbing to be done in the Northeast.