Silent Lakes-Fisher Pass route, North Cascades

AlexeyD

Hello all,

I'm planning a trip to the North Cascades in August, and looking for some on-off trail combination routes for several days. One option that I have looked at involves a loop from the Easy Pass-Fisher Creek trail to Silent Lakes, then to Fisher Pass and back to the trail. To avoid some of the sketchy terrain I have read about on the south slopes of Mount Arriva, I would descend a bit into the upper Grizzly Creek drainage and then use the pass south of Indecision Peak (not shown on the USGS map) to access the high basin and ridge that eventually leads into Fisher Pass. An approximate map of my proposed route is shown here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=210244205518562769831.0004a3f6fddcb909a3895

Has anyone been to this area and has any advice/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Alexey

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in there twenty five or so years ago. It's a hazy memory but it seems to me the first day, to SL, will be the most taxing. We climbed Arriva from SL by its "normal" route, and I remember a series of ridges to be scrambled over, not difficult but definitely would be tiresome if that was your packing route of travel. One of the guys I was with had actually climbed Logan previously by using that route you describe as the approach, so I'd say its definitely possible. I remember that they dropped into Grizzly creek as you describe. It's possible that Eric Sanbo or Mike Woodmansee was on that trip. Jason Griffith might have contact info for them if you pm him. John Roper would know too; Klenke? Others? sorry I can't be more helpful.

Did the first part of your loop last summer: Easy Pass - Fisher Basin - Silent Lakes - Arriva - and back. Mostly pretty straightforward by North Cascades standard. The talus gully up to Silent Lakes was by far the steepest and nastiest part.

If you get behind on day 1, Fisher Basin is a really beautiful place to camp.

Fisher_crop.jpg

Edited by curtveld

Thanks for the replies, guys! John - I will also contact the people you mentioned with the same question. As far as the gully to get to Silent Lakes - just how bad is it? Would you say just steep and unpleasant, or actually dangerous? Does more snow make it generally easier or harder (I expect more than normal with this year's late melt)? Finally, I've heard there is a way to bypass the gully altogether by finding a path on broken rock to the climber's left; have either of you heard anything about this?

Thanks again!

Alexey

familiar with the route from indecision back to the trail and the route up to fisher basin. sorry no info on arriva's S slopes.

from Indecisions pass (6960) it is pretty simple schwack back to the trail. From the upper basin (5960) i remember a steep section down heather (west of creek). We camped on a huge, flat boulder near 5200, west of the creek. Found nice forest east of the creek to get back to the main trail.

Also, big, old moraine sepperates the creek from the main stem of Fisher Ck. sort of a neat feature...

PM me for pics or more info

As far as the gully to get to Silent Lakes - just how bad is it? Would you say just steep and unpleasant, or actually dangerous? Does more snow make it generally easier or harder (I expect more than normal with this year's late melt)?

Your comfort really depends on your experience level. If you have quite a bit, it's not bad. The beaten path follows the left edge and I don't recall any rockfall hazard. More snow would probably be a good thing as it's more predictable than the deep loose rock. This assumes that you're comfortable with step kicking and self arrest. Don't know about the bypass.

Sorry if I'm treating you like a total gumby, but I'm guessing you're posting in the 'newby' forum for a reason.

This will be a great trip to gain some good off-trail experience!

Thanks for the info! I guess I should have been a bit more specific about myself before posting. Personally, I have extensive on and some off-trail backpacking experience, as well as climbing and mountaineering experience. I posted in the Newbie forum because I'm new to the forum. I'm also a newbie when it comes to the Cascades: I have in fact been there, but only as a teenager and only on trails. I am certainly comfortable on steep snow and know how to self-arrest; I am also planning on bringing crampons as well as an ice ax. I will be going with my girlfriend, who has done plenty of day hiking (including winter in the White Mountains of New Hampshire) and some backpacking, but no major off-trail travel. She has certainly used crampons and an ice ax, but not really in a situation where self-arrest might be realistically required (i.e. only on steep, but forest-covered slopes). Prior to this trip, we are going to spend several days in the Purcell Mountains of southeastern British Columbia, where we will do several day trips out of a base camp. I am planning on doing some self-arrest and snow travel practice with her at some point doing this trip - especially if we have a bad weather day. So basically, I'm trying to figure out whether the route I want to do is a feasible option for a relative beginner (though in good shape) accompanied by a moderately experienced backpacker/mountaineer.

Thanks again!

Alexey