Mountaineering Pants

matsfredrickson

I'm getting into alpine climbing in the cascades (Mt. Rainier to be more specific) and I am in the market for some mountaineering pants. However, I'm not sure if I should get hard shell or soft shell pants, both of which have been recommended to me in stores.

My understanding is that soft shell pants will be more breathable, but hard shell pants will be completely wind and water proof. Any advice?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

REI ACME...but they may have been just discontinued...Damn!

+1 Love those pants! Very durable as well, except for the velcro tabs at the bottom, which need to be replaced periodically. I'd buy another pair if they hadn't been discontinued.

either way, get ones that the size zippers come completely off - that way you can put them on/off without removing your skis or crampons, diaper style.

Personally, I typically climb in fleece or polyester pants, and use my Mountain Hardware hardshells when it gets too cold, wet or nasty. Plus you can fall down a lot and not get wet! Ha ha!

Full zips!!

Mt. Hardwear thech. pants(soft shell) have full side zipps. I also have hard shell full side zipps from REI with conduit material. very nice pants. They are very usefull in winter if your in wet snow and or cold windy conditions. they dont freeze up like soft shells. soft shell pants seem to always collect some moisture. If you go with guide service they will want you to have both in most instances. depends on how much you go out in the winter and what the conditions you expect. for instance, if you are hiking Nelson ridge or American ridge or trail 2000 around Bumping lake in the winter, I would take hard shell pants because of the deep snow and cold wind. A few months back I climbed in Ecuador and wore the hards shells climbing the mountains but the soft shells ever where else. When I climbed Rainier I wore the hard shells just to be safe, mountain weather is unpredictable so I plan for worst case scenario to be sure I come home. What is your comfort level?? That is the deciding factor.

I think you'll find most people nowadays will recommend softshell. But for myself I find that during the winter I like hardshell. I tend to get cold wearing softshell in winter. Best option is to buy both but if you can't afford it right now I'd go softshell then buy hardshell later for winter (especially for overnight winter excusions).