Looking for partner to climb Rainier July 19-22

Kat Orekhova

I'm coming out to Washington for two weeks in July and I've got four free days (July 19-22) with no obligations whatsoever. Does anyone want to join forces and climb Rainier with me?

About me: I am a 24-year-old graduate student with a trail-running and rock climbing background. I've done some 14ers in Colorado, some other high-altitude mountain treks in other countries, and a few uphill races such as the Pikes Peak Ascent (time was 3:44). I also spent a year doing rock climbing, so I am comfortable with ropes, knots, belaying, etc. I've had little experience with actual mountaineering - so far, the only real climb I've done has been Cotopaxi volcano in Ecuador. That said, I would summarize myself as being *very* physically fit (no health problems and I am comfortable at altitude) and a quick learner. By the time I'm done with the AAI mountaineering course in July, I should be all set to climb one of the easier routes up Rainier. :)

I can provide certain equipment for the trip such as tent, stove, ropes, etc., but I won't have my own transportation. I am willing to chip in for gas and split rental costs if needed.

In terms of pace, I can move quite quickly, but I'm not going to try for any records on this summit attempt. I'll be in the mountains for two whole weeks, and this climb will be during the first half so I'll need to save some energy for the days ahead. I would rather go at an easier, steady pace and be able to enjoy it! :)

Here is what I am hoping for in a partner:

- experience with mountaineering (at least the same amount as I will have)

- enthusiasm

Let me know if you are interested! My email address is eorekhova@gmail.com.

Thanks and happy climbing!

Kat

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on one of the better partner request I have seen here. Concise, and honest. FYI, you will be well served in the AAI course, They're good...

I plan on climbing this mountain sometime next month with friends, but, if we are unsuccessful by the time your dates roll around I'd climb with ya.

I have many of the attributes you seek, but I'm sure there are others here that would enjoy "joining forces" with you when the time comes...

Good luck,

d

Unfortunately, I will only be in Washington for two weeks at the end of July, and the only free time I have to climb Rainier is July 19-22. I live in the northeast and tickets aren't cheap right now. If they were, I'd be coming out west more often. :)

Thanks for your replies! I've also gotten a few emails from some really great people, so at this point I think we'll have a small group of climbers rather than just the original 2-person team I envisioned. Wonderful!

Edited by Kat Orekhova