Big Wall

kevbone

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh Kev, they are really kicking the crap out of you. I guess people are not interested in this topic.

I like big wall climbing, or something like that. You will probably know if you do a wall cause it really puts the hurt on. Of course there seem to be plenty of badasses out there who would contradict that, doing two walls in a day and such.

So just couse a route is more than 1000 feet, I am not sure that really qualifies. for instance, Royal Arches to me does not qualify as "big wall", while the much shorter Space Shot does.

There are so many styles to climb walls in. I always encourage buddies to go for beginner walls in a day, like leaning tower or Moonlight Butress. But it seems like people doing some of their first walls have to go thru a bivi or two to feel like they have really have experienced big wall climbing.

Could we please get a list of people that it's OK to flame outside of spray and who is on the mods "protected" list?

Telling someone to mind their own business when they spray about how they disapprove of others choices in the mountains is not allowed, while flaming the shit out of Kevbone for asking a valid CLIMBING RELATED question is fine? What gives?

I'm having trouble understanding what the rules of this site are.

Did I not get a memo?

I think it's an interesting topic. Maybe I'm missing the background - was this initiated in a different thread? Is there an ulterior motive or something?

Here's why it's interesting to me:

I think we'd all agree that Half Dome is a "Big Wall". But according to some of the definitions we've seen here it's not. Alex Honnold smoked it in what 2.5 hours solo? If we grade things based on what the most advanced party has done on them, a practice commonly done when an aid line goes free, then Half Dome via the Standard route is no longer a Big Wall.

Is The Nose a big wall? It's been speed-climbed in God only knows what time yet it's called a big wall by those who employ speed-climbing big wall tactics to it. Yet these people don't employ "big wall tactics" so to speak so by another's definition it's not a big wall.

Lots of climbers overnight on Green Drag-On and Town Crier and employ "big wall tactics" to them. I'd argue they're "walls" and not "big walls". Yet, by another's definition, because one hauled water and one slept on a ledge, it's a big wall. Or is it?

University Wall at Squamish - big wall? Seems pretty big to me... Someone with way more ability than me would free it in a half day. I'd flounder on it for 2...

Could we please get a list of people that it's OK to flame outside of spray and who is on the mods "protected" list?

Telling someone to mind their own business when they spray about how they disapprove of others choices in the mountains is not allowed, while flaming the shit out of Kevbone for asking a valid CLIMBING RELATED question is fine? What gives?

Did I not get a memo?

I did not get the memo either.

I think it's an interesting topic.

It just isn't. It's just bickering over a classification, with no purpose. You're going to stop calling Half Dome a big wall because one guy climbed it without a rope in 2.5 hours? It's ridiculous. Most people know what "big wall" means and if someone's genuinely confused it's easy to use more words to explain what is meant. "Alpine big wall" or "Big-wall feel". Trying to come up with a rigid set of qualifications is just pointless and nerdy.

Did I not get a memo?

Kirk, you missed the memo....Just FYI Kevbone would be insulted if we didn't dogpile the crap out of him...he's in a special category...my guess is that he's home laughing his ass off...

You, on the other hand, need to take a chill pill...

Did I not get a memo?

I did not get the memo either.

BULLSHIT!!! You just can't read!! Bawhahahahaha

this is clearly a thread that belongs here. Kev, sorry, but you already asked this before. If you are looking for a metaphysical answer, then ask it in spray.

No more spray in this thread. This is the newbie section, and clearly the question is one a newbie would ask.

Thanks.

I'm sorry I didn't post sooner.

A Big Wall is a route with a NCCS Rating of V or greater.

NCCS grades, often called “commitment grades,” indicate the time investment in a route for an “average” climbing team.

I and II: Half a day or less for the technical (5th class) portion of the route.

III:Most of a day of roped climbing.

IV: A full day of technical climbing.

V: Typically requires an overnight on the route, or done fast and free in a day.

VI: Two or more days of hard climbing.

VII: Remote walls climbed in alpine style.

Off hand I'd say Kevbone is not qualified to rate climbs.