Best cell-phone service for mtn. rescue ?

Dennis_Harmon

I expect to require at least 3 mountain rescues this season alone and am soliciting input from climbers, particularly North-West climbers who have any suggestions as to which style of cell phone, i.e. impact resistance, water resistance, especially those which function at the bottom of crevasses, or at least most of your sport rock climbs. Also, any input concerning the better helicopter ambulances would be greatly appreciated. Dennis

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....and you also wanted input re: helicopter ambulance services. A few years ago some southern CA climbers advised us that under no circumstances ever let the San Bernadino SAR chopper you out. It seems they had a hypothermia victim they evac'd strapped to the outside of the helicopter. Suffice it to say that by the time the destination was reached the victim was (ahem!), "resting peacefully". [Eek!]

Sharon...

A Trained Professional

Sharon, I don't think I'm likely to ever climb in southern Califoria, but thanks for the suggestion. A famous author, Edward Abbey once wrote, "I've never been to Los Angeles... always thought Los Angeles would come to me." I guess that's the way I've always felt. You got to stay one step ahead of the bastards. That's why we moved to Wenatchee, but I guess it's time to move on. Dennis

... ah yes, an underwater cell-phone would be great except for the fact that it's really hard to call for 911 help when you're drowning with only four minutes to live. But, I guess, my dive partner could call for me. They could then recover my remains as soon as possible when my body finally surfaces. Dennis

quote:

Originally posted by RayBonbon:

Hey bubba, for your cell phone the service matters less than the phone itself. I recommend one of those with a retractable antenna, that way it won't hurt so much when shoved up your ass.

and if it has "vibrating ring" feature

(the phone I mean)

you might even enjoy it more that way!

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

The string and cans thing CLEARLY wouldn't work underwater, dumbsh*t. The only option is morse code by beating two horsecocks together. I believe macguyver did this in episode 12
[laf]

Underwater you could send 'smoke signals' by pulsing the bubbles you emit from your regulator?

You could practice this at home by farting in the bathtub.

You need a satellite phone. No problems with signals, and can work all over the world. For those guided trips to the Everest. They even even have GPS options now, so you can tell the SAR exactly were you are. It is the 11th essential, right after signal flares.