Alps Mountaineering packs?

Riley81

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you mean Mounties style mountaineering, I'd go with a trash bag.

My two cents is get a really good pack, don't be cheap, go light and not too large. I've not been impressed with what ALPS stuff I've seen, maybe a MH Direttissima (old stye) on sale (seen them at $110ish) would better fit the bill.

Those packs seem more like hiking packs than CLIMBING packs, keep in mind most cascade trips won't be month long trips, so skip all the pockets and extra crapola.

Sound like you aren't too fond of the equipment. Was mainly going to use it for approaching and backpacking, not techincal climbing. I can get the pack for around $80, but not sure I want to go cheap and get something that will just fall apart. Definetly not a fan of all the dangly stuff either.

Thanks for the input. :tup:

I got a 70 L ALPS pack on clearance at REI and have been pretty happy with it. It is definitely not high end, but it is comfortable, large, doesn't have too many pointless pockets, and it gets the job done on my unemployed college student budget. Mine has survived a year and a half of SAR getting beat in the worst possible bushwhacking.

What do you think is the right pack for hauling climbing gear up to somewhere like Gunsight or the Ampitheater/Cathedral peak. I recently got a golite pinnacle which seems good for light backpacking, but I can't see trying to haul a rack and a rope in it. I was looking for something that was still light, but gave a little back support.

unfortunately you are going to have to try on several models to find the one that fits your frame. I would suggest hitting up feathered friends, marmot and pro mtn sports for the most relevant variety. Make sure you are talking to someone who knows something about fitting a pack. (not that I ever did what I suggested)

For what you are asking for, I like my MEC pack but it is old and no longer made. Many people like the the cilo gear packs but I do not own any. If and when my packs die, I would go looking there for fit.

I have a Cilo pack and Marmot helped me fit it. Got a 45L I regularly use for cragging a couple nights out.

I'm in the market for a big dumb pack (BDP), been looking at Osprey. Feathered Friends is having a huge sale right now, and by the looks of things, have some nice discounts on some of those packs. I'm swinging by this week to take a peek.

Graham's thing is that we have one spine, so there's one stiff framesheet, one aluminum stay. Marmot helped mold that crap to my back. I've had 45lbs in my 45L and it carried fantastically. I'm always surprised at how comfortable it is. There are tons of straps to adjust the load to the supports. It's ultimately customizable. I'd say, if you're interested, give Graham a call and talk to him about it. He posts here under crackers, as well. But he's fantastic and could answer all your questions.

If you have the money, McHale packs win hands down. Keep the hips/Shoulders from hurting. I got old Alpiner modeals used and they are wonderful for larger loads. I do not own one of his smaller packs though they should be the same.

The reason is that McHale packs down pull DOWN on your shoulders, this allows you to actually move your arms over your head without your shoulders having to lift your pack as well as your arms up. This is a BIG deal if you are doing anything even close to technical. Like anything off trail for instance.

As far as I am concerned, any of those packs made by GoLite etc, with lightweight fabric will be shredded anywhere off trail in the cascades or northwest and not worth buying unless you like buying multiple packs. Been out with several different parties and without fail their lightweight packs/clothing gets shredded. Yippee skippy if you have tons of money and like buying equipment all the time.

Likewise I find a 50L pack is good for a week as long as you are willing to strap rack/tat/slings/pons/rope to the outside. All 50L packs are not equal. I find "most" "50L" packs are in actuality far smaller than advertised.