[TR] Colchuck Peak - Colchuck glacier 5/20/2011

bruce59

Trip: Colchuck Peak - Colchuck glacier

Date: 5/20/2011

Trip Report:

I know this route has been written about many times before, but at least the photos will show current snow cover. I am stoked to have finally summited something after moving here eight months ago. My plan was to summit both Dragontail and Colchuck, but when I reached the Dragontail ridge I could not see the route across, so I retreated to the Colchuck col and followed someone elses ski and boot track to the summit of Colchuck. I left my camp by the lake around 7.30am. Temps were in the forties. Conditions were good on the glacier. The snow chute to Dragontail ridge was more difficult, in my opinion. Warmer temps and softer snow made the descent back to Colchuck col easier. From there it was an easy hike to Colchuck summit.

I glissaded most of the way back to the lake.

Dragontail

Colchuck_Peak_003.jpg

Colchuck

Colchuck_Peak_004.jpg

Route to Pandoras Box

Pandoras_Box.jpg

Mt Rainier

Colchuck_Peak_040.jpg

Dragontail from Pandoras box

Colchuck_Peak_047.jpg

Boot track up the West route of Dragontail

Colchuck_Peak_052.jpg

Mt Stuart

Colchuck_Peak_061.jpg

View to the North

Colchuck_Peak_059.jpg

Route up Colchuck

Colchuck_ascent_route.jpg

Gear Notes:

Crampons and ice axe.

Approach Notes:

Approach from Stuart Lake TH and Colchuck Lake trail.

NOTE: The Icicle Crek road is closed at eight mile campground.

I hiked in from the campground. They are making good progress on the road. I can't believe the size of some of the boulders they have cleared from there.

Edited by bruce59

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was there on Sat, there were people patrolling traffic through the gate on the bypass around the mudslide. The sign claims that the projected date for finishing the clearing of the slide is this Fri, the 27th.

Little Beirut, I stopped at the Leavenworth ranger station to inquire about the road. I was told by the person on duty at that time the road was closed to all traffic, including foot traffic, while work was being done. I did not use the other road because I did not want to chance crossing over any private property, so, I started the hike in at 5am, well before the crew started work. I came out at 8pm Friday, after the road crew was done for the day. I did see a truck at the Stuart Lake th. Not sure how they got there.

No matter how many times this route sees a TR it's still awesome to read. I love that route. It was one of the first I attempted when I moved here too - except I learned how to make a checker board from seri strips and wait out a storm. :)

Congrats!