McD's Contribution to a Heathier You

ZimZam

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the city, tho? Bullshit. Good, whole foods available cheap and close by in ANY urban neighborhood in the US.

What a fucking crock. Try playing "Find the Organic Produce Stand Using Mass Transit When You Live in Inglewood" on GoogleMaps. It's awesome.

AH AIN GONNA TOUCH NO APPLE DAT AIN' OH-GANIC! NO SUH! REGLUH APPLEZ JIS DON' CUT IT!

Jesus, you're a self parody, Bubble Boy.

In the city, tho? Bullshit. Good, whole foods available cheap and close by in ANY urban neighborhood in the US.

What a fucking crock. Try playing "Find the Organic Produce Stand Using Mass Transit When You Live in Inglewood" on GoogleMaps. It's awesome.

AH AIN GONNA TOUCH NO APPLE DAT AIN' OH-GANIC! NO SUH! REGLUH APPLEZ JIS DON' CUT IT!

Jesus, you're a self parody, Bubble Boy.

No shit.

Organic leeks? As if fruit stands aren't stacked with regular onions (white, yellow, red, and sweet), not to mention fresh green onions.

And there are tons of cheap apples, bananas, tomatoes, celery, carrots, greens, lemons, limes, etc.

Pretty clear bubble boy has never set foot in one of these places (that would require leaving his basement room at Mom's house)

I don't think you are heartless, I think you are wrong to claim the poor have a choice to avoid junkfood.

from the wayback machine on page 2 - 68$/week for a family of 12 - you think none of these items or the american equivalent are beyond being obtained by the vast majority of americans, poor or not? :)

food_families_07.jpg

If you pulled your head out of your ass and actually read any of the literature around food security in American urban and rurban areas, you'd know that fresh, healthy alternatives to shit fast food and convenience store foods are not easily obtainable in communities that are suffering disproportionately from obesity and other diet related illnesses.

Rural areas, no. Always been that way. Grow your own like yo pappy did, fuckerz!

The Rich have the same problem in rural areas, BTW...unless they can afford to take the chopper to the Big City Whole Foods...

Having lived in a few big cities - D.C., NYC, and in some out-of-the-way rural areas, I'd have to agree on the better availability of food items in cities, even in most poor neighborhoods - I know - I lived there! Yea - there's always some small proportion of cities where mahem rules and there is a lack of stores in the immediate neighborhoods. But I've always been able to find decent food by foot, bike, or bus in the city. Not so in the rural areas but then again always had big gardens and swaps with neighbors.

Yea - we need some help in food policy. But even with the best I guarantee we would be the porkers of the world. Start charging more for health insurance, seats for airplanes, etc. I like the mix of market and government solutions.

sigh ...

"After conducting further research, Gilliland and his coinvestigator Kristian Larsen learned that other cities in Canada, as well as cities in the UK and the United States, also suffered from "food deserts." The term food desert was reputedly first used by a resident of a public sector housing scheme in the west of Scotland in the early 1990s. According to Larsen, a food desert is "a socially distressed neighborhood with relatively low average household incomes and poor access to healthy and affordable food." Food deserts are also often served by a surplus of convenience stores and fast food restaurants.

Numerous academic publications and government reports in various countries have been written in recent years that suggest food deserts may damage public health by restricting the availability and affordability of certain foods that may benefit health, such as fresh fruits and vegetables. These reports have influenced several policy recommendations in the UK and the United States designed to promote adequate retail provision of food."

http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/winter0809articles/inner-city-population.html

"Accessing healthy food is a challenge

for many Americans—particularly those

living in low-income neighborhoods,

communities of color, and rural areas. In

hundreds of neighborhoods across the country,

nutritious, affordable, and high quality food

is largely missing. Studies that measure food

store availability and availability of healthy foods

in nearby stores find major disparities in food

access by race and income and for low-density,

rural areas."

The Grocery Gap or Who Has Access to Healthy Food

Shit. Now I'm really hungry.

I recommend a cooling ayurvedic blend of organic fruit and vegetable juices followed by a medley of raw nut butters. Should be plenty of options available in your New Urban enclave within walking distance of the Democratic Party headquarters and anal-bleaching salon!

but hey, one "knows his city" and another one "lived in poor hoods so he knows" ...

and then there is j_bot who can do endless internet searches from his basement.

despicable POS who resorts to ad-hom when his argument suck, which is all the time