McD's Contribution to a Heathier You

ZimZam

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's really sad that the cheapest and most available food is also usually the most unhealthy. Impoverished americans suffer much greater obesity levels. I wish we could find a way to make healthier food more easily accessible and cheaper. Most people can't afford the outrageous prices they're charging for simple things like organic produce.

Efforts to promote public health and nutrition should be oriented towards access to quality nutrition, education, and health care. Disclosure and regulation are important, but aren't really meaningful in urban landscapes devoid of real alternatives among groups lacking purchasing power to make good choices even when they want to.

Duh.

It's a crisis for almost everybody because the quality of the food supply is becoming worse and it is often unknown. There are whole classes of product like meat or GMO foods for which accurate information, and regulation is completely inadequate.

Economics has fuck all to do with it. That's a complete myth. Whole foods are the cheapest way to go. Apples: .59/lb. Rice: .50/lb. Oats: .79/lb. Chicken: 1.99/lb etc....

It's a choice.

Poor people also smoke more. Cuz smoking is cheaper than not smoking, perhaps?

Where the hell are you buying apples at $0.59 a pound?

Certainly, public education and voluntary compliance couldn't possibly be a solution.

Legal sanctions have worked wonders with drugs.

Wonders.

I know of a family nearby me. They eat at the McDonalds down my ways a lot...and I do mean a lot. They are not as educated as many people, however the biggest culprit I can see in my limited view is their "laziness". It takes work to make meals and take care of your house. I can see they do not like to work at improving things much. They do watch a lot of TV too.

Certainly, public education and voluntary compliance couldn't possibly be a solution.

Legal sanctions have worked wonders with drugs.

Wonders.

I know of a family nearby me. They eat at the McDonalds down my ways a lot...and I do mean a lot. They are not as educated as many people, however the biggest culprit I can see in my limited view is their "laziness". It takes work to make meals and take care of your house. I can see they do not like to work at improving things much. They do watch a lot of TV too.

Yep.

How much do 4 "value meals" cost?

How much do a few carrots, celery, an onion, a whole chicken and some noodles cost?

Economics has fuck all to do with it. That's a complete myth.

How can you say it's a myth when every major study completed finds the impoverished are significantly more likely to be obese? Sure, the poor are also often less educated regarding healthy food choices. But, regardless of the cause, the correlation between economics and health is quite clear.

Well, I'm 51 and I can tell you that the availability of inexpensive, high quality food now is light years ahead of what it used to be. Every supermarket has a full organics section. Most have great bulk sections. Sure, they sell shitfood, too, if that's what you're into.

It's a choice.

And who in their right mind is going to give this clown show of a congress MORE power to regulate our already highly regulated lives? From the people who brought you the deficit, endless war, the War on Drugs....

Read the labels and STFU. Foods that aren't GMO proudly proclaim it (for advertising purposes, of course).

Economics has fuck all to do with it. That's a complete myth. Whole foods are the cheapest way to go. Apples: .59/lb. Rice: .50/lb. Oats: .79/lb. Chicken: 1.99/lb etc....

It's a choice.

Poor people also smoke more. Cuz smoking is cheaper than not smoking, perhaps?

It is as cheap if not cheaper to cook your own food from scratch, but economic security is a strong component of stable living.

Well, I'm 51 and I can tell you that the availability of inexpensive, high quality food now is light years ahead of what it used to be. Every supermarket has a full organics section. Most have great bulk sections. Sure, they sell shitfood, too, if that's what you're into.

It's a choice.

Sure, a family of 4 living of $66 per week in food stamps is really going to hit up the organic section at the local Safeway when they can buy an entire meal-in-a-box for $4.99?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/a-high-price-for-healthy-food/

Calorie for calorie, junk foods not only cost less than fruits and vegetables, but junk food prices also are less likely to rise as a result of inflation. The findings, reported in the current issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, may help explain why the highest rates of obesity are seen among people in lower-income groups.

It's a choice.

Sure, a family of 4 living of $66 per week in food stamps is really going to hit up the organic section at the local Safeway when they can buy an entire meal-in-a-box for $4.99?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/a-high-price-for-healthy-food/

Calorie for calorie, junk foods not only cost less than fruits and vegetables, but junk food prices also are less likely to rise as a result of inflation. The findings, reported in the current issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, may help explain why the highest rates of obesity are seen among people in lower-income groups.

This time TTK is right.

Strawman. You don't have to spring for the organics to get healthy food. Regular old apples are plenty good enough.

I guarantee that whatever meal in a box you can come up with (assuming it actually exists in the real world), I can beat healthwise and pricewise with a home cooked version.

Go....

Oh, so poor people are too fat, so we're worried about cost per calorie, now? Seems like being able to afford enough calories might not be the problem here....

But, if you want cheap calories, a 50 lb bag of rice works out to be .50 a lb

Beat that, calorie for calorie.

Nope...you can't.

Strawman. You don't have to spring for the organics to get healthy food. Regular old apples are plenty good enough.

I guarantee that whatever meal in a box you can come up with (assuming it actually exists in the real world), I can beat healthwise and pricewise with a home cooked version.

Go....

Canned and frozen veggies can be cheaper than fresh. Frozen is just as healthful.

Carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, legumes, canned tomatoes, a chicken, or some ground sausage, beef, whatever. You can get a tasty meal for under $20-25 easy (the price of meals for 4 at McD's)

Oh, so poor people are too fat, so we're worried about cost per calorie, now? Seems like being able to afford enough calories might not be the problem here....

But, if you want cheap calories, a 50 lb bag of rice works out to be .50 a lb

Beat that, calorie for calorie.

Nope...you can't.

Dried beans are hella cheap too. But shit, you have to boil them for 2 hours. Easier to head out to McD's.

Study after study after study is finding that it's cheaper and easier to eat poorly, and this is bolstered by data that the poor are indeed more unhealthy. But, you guys have figured it out: the poor are just stupid.

I've always suspected.

Study after study after study is finding that it's cheaper and easier to eat poorly, and this is bolstered by data that the poor are indeed more unhealthy. But, clearly, you guys have figured it out: the poor are just stupid.

I've always suspected.

Well, I don't know what 'the poor's' problems are, probably varies, and I've heard that the obesity epidemic isn't confined to poor folk.

I can tell you that a healthy diet of whole foods is cheaper, though. It's not a difficult thing to prove, really. It may involve eating less calories, though. Since obesity, not hunger, is the problem, studies that focus on cost per calorie are, of course, bullshit. (LARD!) Wrong focus. Cost per healthy, appropriate diet should be the measure...of course.

Edited by tvashtarkatena