REI appeals Monika Johnson's case

JasonG

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you needed any motivation, one can use this as carte blanche to exercise 100% return policy to highest degree possible.

+1. Does this policy apply to bikes? I'd like a sweet TT bike for the weekend, to be returned on Monday.

I'll just be sure to wear a full-face helmet.

Edited by rob

Given the fact that she was a healthcare provider (inpatient physical therapist at VM), I'm willing to bet that she wasn't asking the world of REI. Most healthcare providers, and I deal with 100s for work, have a significant distaste for lawsuits. I suspect she was only asking for what she needed. Just a guess without doing any research.

I bet it is not REI who is deciding how to defend this suit but their insurance company

The insurance company works for REI, not the other way around. They do not have to follow what the ins co's attorneys say. They could actually accept the court's decision & get a second chance to do the right thing, stand behind their defective product. They didn't.

Hope they do not get a 3rd chance to shirk out of their responsibilities & the appeals court sides with Monika.

Rooting for her attorney(s)...

from REI:

"Thank you for your email. Monika Johnson was highly regarded in the outdoor community, a member of the REI community, and a dear friend of many REI employees. Please know that we have expressed our condolences to Monika's family and extend them to you, as well.

The issues addressed in any lawsuit are often complex and sometimes, as is the case here, have broad impacts beyond just the parties. REI's appeal is not about the amount of money Monika's estate should receive through either a trial or a settlement. Instead, it is about the degree to which responsibility should be shared between a private label seller, like REI, and the manufacturer who designed and made the bike component.

The right to have a court or jury consider this question is important to all companies, big or small, that sell products under private labels. REI would have preferred to resolve Ms. Johnson’s case early on, but circumstances beyond our control made this impossible.

As we have since REI was founded in 1938, we stand behind our products, and we are committed to acting in accordance with the co-op’s values. We have kept those values front and center throughout the defense of this case, and we will continue to do so through final resolution.

Sincerely,

Libby Catalinich

Director, REI Corporate Communications"

Interesting statement from REI. Very well crafted. What I suspect is that this case may be the first to test WA's law in this area (a private label and who is ultimately responsible). As such, the insurance company which will be the one who will ultimately pay are the ones pushing the issue.

This case, IMHO seems no different that someone who sues Boeing over a plane crash. Boeing subs out many many parts. Boeing takes the hit and then goes after the sub. REI will probably have to do the same.

Unfortunate, especially given that Monika has since died.

I've only just seen this thread- wasn't aware that it had crossed over. Funny.....Monika never posted here because she thought the site was hard to navigate. She'd be stoked to see that folks give a damn.

To answer two of the questions I've seen here:

- Monika returned the bike and asked for a refund. She never received a dime. And as I mentioned in the TAY thread, she paid for the forensic bike test that REI requested with money from her savings. Around 10k. She was never reimbursed, even though REI issued a recall of similar bikes when the results came back (sadly, another woman was injured in a different state for identical reasons) Monika probably saved REI from other lawsuits.

- Monika worried very much about asking for too much in her settlement. She actually felt guilty at times asking for anything. She was asking for reimbursement of medical expenses, lost wages, lost vacation hours, future lost wages, and I believe an additional amount due to pain and suffering attributed to TBI (traumatic brain injury). She never discussed a sum total with me, I never asked. I know that more than anything she just wanted to get on with her life.

This whole thing continues to make me sick. I need to go skiing.....

\

Maybe it's time for a "Take Back Our Co-op" campaign where we get some decent people on the board and steer REI back to its roots.

Regardless, I'm writing in my board votes this year. No one currently sitting and up for reelection gets my approval.

this is a great idea. keep voting everyone out every year till they act right.

\

Maybe it's time for a "Take Back Our Co-op" campaign where we get some decent people on the board and steer REI back to its roots.

Regardless, I'm writing in my board votes this year. No one currently sitting and up for reelection gets my approval.

I believe the recent (last 6-7 years or so) changes to board nomination/voting procedures make it unlikely you'll ever produce a change.

mattp-

Could you try and elaborate a bit? I don't understand how/why it has to be that way with a co-op. Couldn't they become self-insured like some docs/clinics and tell the insurers to buzz off? It seems like in corporate america, this is the way things work, but something seems very, very wrong when a member "owned" business adopts the same attitude. Couldn't they have settled after the first decision, and parted ways with their insurer?

I understand your point that our system still penalizes those who put out defective merchandise, it just seems that non-profits could do it with a lot more straight talk and less BS.

Jason,

I have no real knowledge of REI's governance or their relationship with their insurance company. I can only speculate about any of this but I think it is unrealistic to suggest that, because they are a "coop," they aren't operating in pretty much the same business environment as any other large corporation.

And, large or small, "for profit" or "non profit," our legal system is not built upon any expectation that parties will voluntarily take responsibility for harming another party.

The ability of a corporation to make completely self-contradictory statements in a single breathe while maintaining their perma-plastigram smile is absolutely disgusting.

"Thank you for your email. Monika Johnson was highly regarded in the outdoor community, a member of the REI community, and a dear friend of many REI employees. Please know that we have expressed our condolences to Monika's family and extend them to you, as well......

As we have since REI was founded in 1938, we stand behind our products, and we are committed to acting in accordance with the co-op’s values. We have kept those values front and center throughout the defense of this case, and we will continue to do so through final resolution."

"Condolences for causing you brain damage now go fuck yourself"....

I'd absolutely love a thorough explanation of how REI has "kept those values front and center throughout the defense of this case". So come on Libby if you're so damn responsive let us know how manufacturing shitty products then not standing behind them when they fail reinforces a commitment to your co-op members.

Ryan and everyone else who knew Monika I am so, so sorry for your loss. Clearly she was exceptional in her passions. To be exposed to this bullshit just makes it that much worse.

I've got an REI credit card, I swear it's gone tomorrow, as is shopping there it's only become an exercise in frustration anyways...

\

Better yet. Mail back your card and resign from membership. Fuck 'em. Not another dime. They'll only listen when it effects their profits. Let it go viral. Shame them.

I've got an REI credit card, I swear it's gone tomorrow, as is shopping there it's only become an exercise in frustration anyways...

+1 I'm done with them. No more money from me, I'm not going to help pay for this nonsense.

viral is where it is at. i have never worked with video, but a 30second to 1 minute well produced piece that integrates pictures of the busted bike, monika, the lab testing, rei's recall, and rei's shit ass lip service... well, you get that rolling around outdoor folks on facebook, and start piling up the hits. What about one of those local news things too 'keeping them honest'.. would be interesting to see how REI's tune changes. Seems like every time bad PR gets big, there is immediate turn-about.

If REI doesn't appeal, does this make them liable for failures in all equipment they sell or just their house brands?

No and no. It just means that they will pay what they should have ponied up the first time. If they sell shit that falls apart and causes injury or death, they face what all Mfgs and importers face in this country. ie, they are responsible.

Email sent, membership canceled.

Lots of small gear and equipment shops out there that would love your business.

Recent newz that Climbmax, a local PDX store that did a kick assed job on climbing equipment, will be closing, is particularly hard to hear.