• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people here:

1) Know what a Trapper Nelson is

2) Have seen a Trapper Nelson

3) Carried a Trapper Nelson?

1) Yes.

2) Yes.

3) Yes. Used to use them for packing out elk quarters. I don't hunt anymore, though, so I don't have to carry one anymore. :grin:

Goldfinger - When I started backpacking in 1950, when I joined my dad to do some prospecting, I had no choice - I could have carried a suitcase I guess - In 1960 or so REI did come out with with the Cruiser pack - I have REI catalogs from 1958 to 1967 except for 1960, and Trapper Nelson's only in 1959, both both in 1961 - That's when I got my Cruiser, later a Kelty.

No.

No.

No. (thank goodness)

I did start hiking/climbing with an external frame pack back in the '70's but nothing quite that draconian.

In the early '80's I bought a Lowe internal frame pack and still use it. It's pretty beat up, but is still serviceable...

d

Dang you guys/gals are OOOOOLD. ;-)

I started in the 80's as a wee lad with an old green REI aluminum framed thing where the hip belt ended up just above my knees. Shortly after that my parents got me a state of the art Jansport external frame pack that was small enough to fit. I have fond memories of hiking along the beach on the Ozette Triangle and occaisionally falling between the logs I liked to scramble on and getting stuck as my frame pack would hang up between them with little me dangling underneath. Good times!

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Hell yes - my first trips in the Rockies, around the Bowrons, and in to the Cathedrals were taken with Trapper Nelsons. I still have a couple of them, and many fond memories associated with them (mostly fond memories of camping with Dad, and various childhood friends. The packs themselves not so much)

My collection originally belonged to Dad and/or grandfather, so way more sentimental value than anything else...

Hello Climbers:

I've been looking hard trying to locate an old Trapper Nelson backpack. I was doing a web search this evening and discovered that there has been a lot of recent chatter on the old Trapper Nelsons. Yes, they were REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE, SHIFTY, etc. I completed a 50 mile backpacking trip with the scouts on the Skyline Trail (Pacific Crest) with one back in summer of 1967 or 68. I was 13 years old. I'll never forget it.

That pack (beast that it was) holds special memories for me. It had been my Dad's back when he was in scouts back in Port Angles Washington in the mid 1940's. My Dad died when I was 19. Unfortunately, a family member threw it out during a garage cleaning spree several years ago. I'd really like to find one like it and would be more than willing to pay a fair price. Please contact me if you can help.

Thanks,

New Trapper Guy

Had to dig my Trapper Nelson out of storage - I got it back about 1950 - It was made by Trager Mfg. Co. They made a lot of stuff for REI in the past - The label says "Trapper Nelson's Indian Pack Boards - Patent no. 1905 661 - Typical brown pack sack held on frame with two wires through eyelets.