• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
billclimbs

Routes on Shasta

Looking for suggestions for a route up shasta. Have done hotlam bolum and AG. In that range of difficulty. Summitpost and climbing cascade volcanos seem to differ on thier rating

I did Casaval Ridge over Memorial Day WE, 2009. I had a blast and recommend it. It really was not difficult. There was a section or two of exposed, steepish snow and some scrambly bits on rock. My partner had almost no prior mountaineering experience and he was comfortable climbing it ropeless.

That said, we did meet a party from North Carolina who felt the 'Catwalk' was too exposed and traversed climber's left to finish via the West Face. A rope and a few pieces of gear, and of course the skills to use it all, could be helpful in a few spots to increase the saftey. I met a party on the way down pitching out a section (I was downclimbing).

Also, there always seems to be a question about where to camp, whether to carry over or downclimb, etc. The tatic we chose worked really well. Here is a link to some words and images from my ascent: http://themountain-life.blogspot.com/2011/02/absolute-beginners-guide-to-mt-shasta.html

Edited by DPS

relevant route suggestions are highly dependent on when you are planning to climb. care to elaborate on your dates?

Thanks DPS. That is one of the routes we are considering. Weather permitting we are shooting for Memorial day weekend.

Sounds like Casaval or West Face Gully would be best options for you out of Bunny Flat. Northgate could be melted out by then, so perhaps consider the Whitney-Bolam Ridge if you want something new on the N/E side. You planning to take skis? If so, WFG should be some good turns.