Mt. Hood Conditions

tele turnin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're chomping at the bit! Sunday AM looked like cloud deck to 9,000~ and then lenticular starting around 10,500. I know some folks on here talked about going then--wonder how it was for them.

Why not hold off till you get a for sure sunny weekday--we had a few in the last few weeks. majority chance you'll spend your day in a moist cloud with the weather predicted this week.

We canceled our trip to Hood... Something like 20 in of snow between today and Fridays forecast is 20 mph winds at 8200' and 30 mph at the summit. Sunday and Monday look beautiful though... To bad my partner can't get get off work either day.

Weather seems to be looking better for this weekend, albeit a warming trend has me nervous. Still, I'm thinking of a South Side climb Sat night. I'm driving from Boise - should I expect huge crowds with a long wait on crappy snow?

Cheers,

Scott

you'll likely be just fine - crowds aren't so bad even when there as they don't really require you to sit aroudn and wait - can always pick an untramelled line when you arrive such as the west crater rim, luetholds, pearly gates, etc...

thx ivan! I've been up there before and found a good bottle neck one day, back when the Pearly Gate was the main route. We went up/down a chute to the left and made good time. But, the Gate is different these days - guess I can go take a look!

Lots and lots of shit is going to be coming off that Mtn as soon as the sun touches it around 5am starting. Myself I would give hood a week or so of warm weather to stabilize, but then I am a little gun-shy.

That was my second concern. I've been wanting to do a daytime climb since January, now we're looking at the midnight slog . . . If I head out by midnight I should be on top my 5am, assuming I don't have to wait in line. But, as warm as it seems to be getting, it may shed stuff in the dark too. Hmmmm.

well I was on Hood Tuesday night/wednesday morning (south side).

I had the whole mountain to myself!!!

A couple hours into it I found out why! :crazy:

And another note: My new ÜBER cool Scarpa phantom boots may be quite a bit lighter than my nepal extremes but when they fit completely different they are almost worthless. (toes got numb and now missing some skin on top)

Was reported that 3 groups turned around yesterday morning around Hot Rocks. Boot Pen around 40cm with propagation and glide cracks present. Seemed like a lot of stored energy in the slab layer. Lots of wind loading. No report yet on snow pit tests, just some spooky slopes up there at the moment.

Although I am sure that folks will post conditions, remember that what they post may or may not be as accurate as you would like, or coincide with your level of acceptable risk, so it's always a good idea to do your own assessments during your climb. You may want to check in to the PMR Facebook page for any info on current conditions, as well as the Mt. Hood National Forest climbing conditions page (not sure it's been updated as of late).

cheers!!

I'm at timberline now, was sleeping in my vehicle. The wind keeps shaking my fj.

Have you been sleeping there for a couple of days now? I might had fallen down under your truck with my pack on when I got out of my car on Fri morning. It was so icy in the lot. I hope there are no scratches and I apologize for waking you up.

I'm at timberline now, was sleeping in my vehicle. The wind keeps shaking my fj. Maybe I'll try to get up if the wind dies down

IT'S DEATH TO GO UP THERE!!!

:lmao:

:shock:

iceaxe23 you have fun going there when weather fronts/disturbances are specifically are predicted to come through? hehe. hope you finally catch a wrong forecast and get good conditions.

No break today. It was only supposed to be 15MPH winds and turned out to be 35MPH winds. It still beats work though. I only made it to 10K and my left knee started to hurt bad. Third time over 7500 feet my left knee hurts real bad.

I'm at timberline now, was sleeping in my vehicle. The wind keeps shaking my fj.

Have you been sleeping there for a couple of days now? I might had fallen down under your truck with my pack on when I got out of my car on Fri morning. It was so icy in the lot. I hope there are no scratches and I apologize for waking you up.

Just one night per week. I have an FJ with nobody under it

Timberline is a good place to sleep if you have curtained windows, lights are on all night long. and then there are people falling under your vehicle and getting wedged there at all hours of the night.....

:lmao:

Any new condition reports for this weekend coming up?

I'm a relative noob going with some much more experienced friends this Saturday. Am somewhat worried about the avy danger.

Plan: midnight start up Old Shute. My practice climbs with all the gear have me from Timberline to the top of Palmer climb trail in about 2.5 hours. So tips would be appreciated.

i would not refer to a mass of ice 20 x 40 feet as a "chunk" - that's a fucking iceberg :)

and that said, i can't believe it was that size when it hit her or she'd be a ladybug on the windshield of life as such a monstrosity would weigh more than a ton.