86ed

jon

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

They have only taken, and taken, and taken and been spoiled rotten by their parents. They are selfish... and I'll keep on saying it. Dennis

I agree with some of what you say about my generation. However, Dennis, we were raised by Babyboomers. Where did we acquire these traits if not as a direct product of the parenting we received. You cannot vilify Generation X or the Millenial Generation (your "Gen-A-holes") without looking at those who raised us. Read "The Fourth Turning", by William Strauss & Neil Howe for an interesting look at how generations mesh and how they fulfill roles in the world at large. Need some reading glasses, old man? [Wink]

Greg

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

[QB...are a breed apart from what this nation was built on. Think about it. [/QB]

It's well-known that the founding fathers would most likely all be in prison in today's society. Perhaps you need to retarget your venom a bit.

dennis

couple things..

did you serve in combat??? if so i give you respect, if not shut the f@&k up about it. my brother is a gen-xer currently serving in combat.

my sister a gen-xer serving in combat.

me- failed physical for marines, due to blown out shoulder

me a card carrying nra memeber and a member of the washington state republican party. i am 24. i am also openwater certified. have my hunting license. am a member of the aac, the access fund, world wildlife foundation and te sierra club.

i have placed bolts and i have climbed the alpine mtns. in grand purust style. i have pounded pins and i have climbed walls exclusivly clean. i gravitate towards traditional climbing. but respect all mediums of the sport.

most of my gen-xer climbing friends are also right wing. they are all under the age of 30. most of them are nra and registerd repubs too.

what is your point???

i think it is that your are some wenatchee slightly overwiehgt male, who sees his abilities declining and wishes to tell others how it should be. get a clue...no one cares what you say. maybe present it with some type of thought, it might get some respect. and that is what i see you begging for. wrong way to achieve that mission!!!!

i am the opposite of everything you say about my generation.

maybe i should talk shit about old people. but then again why should i?? that would make me like you, and in no way when i reach 44 do i want to be anything like you.

and like everyone else has said recently. sport climbing was brought into vogue by people of your generation. not mine, but yours.

last thing. instead of waitint to talk, why don't you listen to what the others have to say......

step one of enlightment is to pull your head out your ass.

have a good day

[ 06-26-2002, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: erik ]

quote:

Jon, Where are you, lad? Off fighting for your country? I do know BS when I hear it. Dennis

I'm in my Escalade cruising the strip listening to the new Eminem CD spending the trust fund baby.

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

quote:

Jon, Where are you, lad? Off fighting for your country? I do know BS when I hear it. Dennis

I'm in my Escalade cruising the strip listening to the new Eminem CD spending the trust fund baby.

when we meetin up yo?? i got dat new eminiem dvd, we can watch it on da ps2 in da hooptie!!!! plus wit mommies new platinum card we could hook up da starbucks fraps and then lay da mack on some eastgate hotties!!!!

mid 20's rulz.....

peace dawg

Dennis-

Be nice to us, we are the ones who are going to fuck you out of your Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and shuttle you off to a home to die so we can spend more time at the cabin with Buffy and the twins throwing a stick to Spot and buffing our Lincoln Navigator that we bought with the money we got from selling YOUR house! [laf][laf]

Greg

Proud conservative, gun-totin', trad climbin' Gen-X'er

Hell yeah iaiaiaian i got all the stops beyotch, neon, huge muffler that puts a harley to shame. Hey I got this new pez despenser full of ebombs, you guys want to go to a rave tonight and pick up some freaks.

Edog after we get our lattes lets head up to 38 and try out my new cordless rotohammer powered by windows XP.

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

Hell yeah iaiaiaian i got all the stops beyotch, neon, huge muffler that puts a harley to shame. Hey I got this new pez despenser full of ebombs, you guys want to go to a rave tonight and pick up some freaks.

Edog after we get our lattes lets head up to 38 and try out my new cordless rotohammer powered by windows XP.

j-rawks

i got da linux upgrade fo yo hammer...we can grid now closer together....and i just spoke to grams. the island is great..though some of the servents are alittle upset to the reduction in pay to the all the 40+ yr old workers. they seem less valuable as the get up in age.....i told her to increase their prune juice intake....oh yeah grams also just bought me 10,000 new 1" x 6" bols for routes too!!! flourescent hangers!!!!

peace dawg

I'm 25.

I'm on foodstamps. I'd be on welfare, Social Security, Medicare, etc if I could.

My current job is glueing boxes of cereal shut for 8 1/2 hours a day. I have long hair, and I listen to Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead. I don't do drugs but I like to drink.

I will quit my job when I am sick of it and claim unemployment.

Then I will go climbing and laugh at all the slaves in their expensive SUV's bickering about what type of furniture they are going to buy at IKEA and what hike they will prepare for from Ken Wilcox's B'ham hiking guide.

Dennis, I'm your worst f*cking nightmare.

BTW, do you have a daughter or a couple a' bucks I can spare? [big Grin]

quote:

I have to state that the youth of America tend to be liberals and that liberals bug me anymore. They seem to think that anything goes and that everything is relative... that strong opinions are bad because you could be accused of being opinionated. Generation-Xers, and the following generation which I choose to call Gen-A-holes, are a breed apart from what this nation was built on. Think about it. These kids have not known war or sacrifice or given anything back to this nation. They have only taken, and taken, and taken and been spoiled rotten by their parents. It's little wonder that they are wont to walk far from their SUVs and are rampantly destroying the rock with their cordless drill technology. They are selfish... and I'll keep on saying it. Dennis

While I understand how someone had actually served in combat might resent the fact that those enjoying the freedoms he had fought to defend (I'm making an assumption here)were not treating them with the amount of reverence that he'd like to see, this sort of vague bitterness and hostility towards a younger generation that hasn't fought in another war is certainly not common to all veterans. My family is full of veterans who served in every war this century, and I have yet to hear them using their service as an excuse to issue blanket denunciations of an entire generation. Further, I've never heard them suggest that unless you've served in combat, you've done nothing of service to your country.

Beside the members of my own family, As I grew up I got to know other veterans of WWII, one of whom flew 30 bomber missions over Germany as a tail gunner, the other who served aboard the USS Arizona and was later awarded the Navy Cross for his actions. I can remember seeing the bomber pilot working with some solvents one summer that I knew to be carcinogenic, and asked him if he knew what that stuff could do to him. He smiled and informed me that yes, he knew the risks well enough, and followed with a story about a bomber run in which he kept slipping on the floor while trying to operate his gun and couldn't figure out why, until he looked up the fuselage and saw that every other gunner on the flight was dead or dying, and it was their blood he was slipping on. After they landed he counted 276 bullet holes in his portion of the plane. After finishing his story he smiled and said "and so you see, after that, I've never really worried about anything."

What was so amazing about these men was the fact that despite all of the horrors they experienced and saw while serving, I never heard any of these veterans express bitterness over the fact that other generations would not experience the loss of life and tragedy on the scale that they had, and they certainly never suggested that not doing so compromised one's identity as an American. Sure they had their differences with the next generation, but were wise enough to chalk this up to their advancing years as much as any real defects belonging to the generation that they had raised and shaped. What I did hear them say, however, was "Thank God no one else had to go through that. That's why we fought. So our kids and grandkids wouldn't have to." It's noble sentiment that's perhaps not shared by all veterans, but certainly a credit to those that do.

[ 06-26-2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: JayB ]

Dennis, I am actually a couple of years older than you. I was wondering if you may have grown up in a small rural town. I did, and I know that I had a skewed vision of our generation while I was growing up.

Growing up, everyone that I knew was pretty much just like me. We all were pretty conservative and did "outdoors" stuff. I saw "hippies" on the news, but I really didn't see people like that in my everyday life.

But, as I look back, I really think that our generation was at least a screwed up as this one and probably a lot more so. It turns out that while I thought that I was just like most of my generation, I was really just like a small percentage.

I will probably get blasted for this, but I think that it isn't so much the generation that you came from, but the environment. In other words, I think that people that spent their whole lives in the "City" with all of societies services may have a skewed vision of life. The people that I grew up with knew that sometimes bad things happen and it isn't anyone's fault. It is just life. No one was going to take care of us if we didn't. "City" folk seem to think that if something bad happens to them, it must be because of someone else. (I know, a really broad generalization).

Now to tie this back to your view of the younger generation, I think that the aspects of people that you are talking about have nothing to do with which generation they are from. It is our society in general becoming more selfish and more of the average society doing "extreme sports" like climbing.

Well, know I have even confused myself...back to the rocking chair on the porch. [Roll Eyes][laf]

Appologies to all of you conservative, hard climbing, "take care of yourself" "city folk". [smile]

quote:

JayB, Basically what you're saying is that you've never done squat for your country and you're going to try to turn the argument around. Just admit it, lad, you've done nothing and never will. Dennis

Supporting freedom and a capitalistic free-market economy is the best way to do something for your country. These are the ideals that this country was founded on. Hold your government representatives in check on how they vote, what pork they push, and how they impair our freedoms. You are right, Dennis, we haven't had a war, but these are ways we can foster the future of what makes America great. I mentioned it before, but I think you would find "The Fourth Turning" a compelling read (see earlier post). The authors believe that Gen-X will be the policy-makers in the next global conflict and the Millenial Generation will be on the ground.

Oh, one other thing: piss off, fucko!

Greg

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Dennis is pretty obviously an avatar of somebody on this board

I've wondered a bit about that, since he seems to have a pretty limited script, like a character that wasn't very well written. He does get credit for spinning this thread off deep into the "no climbing content" void though, even if it has been pretty entertaining.