86ed

jon

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JayB, I never said that I'm a Vietnam vetern, but I am a Vietnam era vetern, i.e. Saigon fell while I was in medic training at Ft. Sam Houston, Texas. Any assumptions that anyone made concerning my service is theirs'. I did spend two and a half years as a flight-medic aboard a MAST helicopter ambulance out of Ft. Carson, Colorado, so I tend to take these recent tragedies a little personally. So now, tell me again, what exactly have you done for your country? Dennis

btowle, For what it's worth, I grew up in a relatively small(60K pop)town within walking distance of Ft. Hood, Texas (the largest army instillation in N. America.) I don't know if that supports or opposes your theory, but there it is. Regarding your argument that those raised in small/rural settings tend to be more self-reliant, as opposed to those brought up in the 'Big City' being heavily dependent on 'Big Brother' for all their problems, is probably more true than false. Thanks for your post. Dennis

So to be worty you have to have done some sort of public service, is that what you are saying? So lets say for instance there are two medics (one traveling east at 50 mph and one traveling....... [Razz] ), one works for the city and another works for an ambulatory company. Is one more worty than the other? I'm just trying to understand your arguement a little better thats all.

jon, I guess that what I'm saying is, "What the hell have you ever given back to this nation that has nurtured, educated, and given you the freedom to express yourself on a forum such as this one? And what in the hell have you done, or contributed, to deserve it?" Or is it just something that mommy and daddy owes you? Dennis

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

JayB, I never said that I'm a Vietnam vetern [sic]...So now, tell me again, what exactly have you done for your country? Dennis

So anyone who has not spent time in the Armed Forces hasn't done anything for their country?

I'm 35, and my mom is a true-blue Boomer, her dad was in the Navy and died in service.

I've worked for non-profits for fifteen years (which essentially means I work for 30% below the for-profit version of my job), I vote, I volunteer, I'm active in my community, and I stop for pedestrians. I also make art, which people buy because it makes them feel good to look at it.My parents never gave me anything once I left home after high school. I drive a fifteen year old car. Most of my friends live similarly, though the married ones do a little better as they can combine their resources.

Where do you see all of these slack-jawed trust fund babies? How dare you assume you know us!

Dennis,

Reason I'm asking these questions is because your statements are so generalized, unbased, and absurd I'm trying to figure out what constitutes "giving back to this nation" in your mind? Do you have to serve in the military to do this, or are there other ways? So is the guy delivering my mail doing the nation a service? Is the guy driving a truck on dark and lonely highway delivering produce doing the nation a service? How about the woman at the checkout counter at the grocery store? Or the bank teller? Do you have to work for the government or if you work for a company you are trying to fleece America. Not everyone can put on a uniform and guard our border, our nation hinges on many things most of which in your apparent narrow-minded view of the world you probably take for granted. Basically what the hell do you do for a living that is so fucking righteous that you think you can just go around and tell people how worthless they are with knowing very little if not anything about them? I run across people like you all the time who treat me with so little respect because they make the same kind of generalizations you do just because I’m young and wear shorts and a T-shirt and flip flops all the time.

Hey page top!

This is RURP:

I would not call Mr. Harmon a Vietnam-era veteran. He was one of the lucky ones in-between. The American draft ended in 1973. The war ended in 1974. Mr. Harmon is 44 which means he was born in either 1958 or in 1957 (if he hasn't had his birthday this year yet.) That means he was 15 or 16 in 1973, or 16 and 17 in 1974. You do the math. THE WAR WAS OVER and I don't think it's fair to gain some status by claiming to be in the military in its immediate aftermath...think of the poor guys who went with or against their will to that sorry place! (And did he finish high school?...not that it matters...just trying to make sense of his chronology.)

Ya, I happen to agree with most of his comments about generations...the twenty and thirty year now act like teens and 20's respectively...they will never have the early maturity of some of the parents and youth who suffered during the Depression and World War II. Every generation since has been more spoiled...it's sad, but predictable...but on the other hand, isn't it nice that these young spoiled youth have not had to save the world from Nazi's or been drafted to fight a dubious war in Southeast Asia? Could they put out if the need came? Maybe...hard to say...the young folks in the military today seem to be doing a very excellent job.

You want an Army?

Join this one!

EVERYBODY (with few exceptions) goes in and stays in to some degree (reserves, etc.).

If I was in charge, every 18 year old would invest 2 years into making this country better by a mandatory commitment in the military, Peace Corps, Americorps, or some other worthwhile endeavor. They will be more proud and respectful of their own country, and more mature before heading off to college or elsewhere.

RURP has spoken.

Yeah I noticed that Dennis when you posted that but I didn't feel like calling you on that. Trying to somehow associate yourself with Vietnam when you weren't is bullshit. While you were at home watching Brady Bunch and drinking your Ovalteen the men in my family were serving watching their friends die. A couple years back while in DC burying my grandfather in Arlington we went to the memorial. Sad watching my parents finding all the men my dad served with and all their childhood and college friends on the wall. My uncle was too upset to even look at it, 50% of his covert unit didn't return in addition to all his friends from the Academy. My grandfather was scared for life from what he experienced in WWII. I've got more appreciation for the people serving our country than you can imagine.

Hey Rurp and Jon, Read back over and you'll see that I never claimed to be a Vietnam vetern. I may be rude, but I'll never be that rude. All I'm saying is that the current generation of youth of America hasn't paid any price whatsoevever to enjoy the freedoms and bounties of liberty. Dennis

quote:

JayB, I still want an honest answer to my original question... What in the heck have you done for your country? And I still bet that you can't answer it. Dennis

I was still in high-school at the conclusion of the Gulf War. I registered for selective service, and was never drafted. Had I been called to serve, I would have gone.

On a related note, I grew up just outside of Ft. Lewis around men who actually saw combat first-hand in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. It's not my place to speak for someone who has actually been to war on behalf of our country, but from what I can remember they took a mighty dim view of anyone who attempted to derive moral authority from the sacrifices that they made without having shared them.

quote:

All I'm saying is that the current generation of youth of America hasn't paid any price whatsoevever to enjoy the freedoms and bounties of liberty. Dennis

Thats the stupidest godamn thing I have ever heard...

Maybe you should start writting letters to the Pres. asking for another draft so the American youth can earn the freedoms we have now...

Or you could just shut the hell up and leave jon alone. I am pretty damn sure you havent "paid any price whatsoever" for the entertainment that his web site provides you daily.

quote:

jon, I guess that what I'm saying is, "What the hell have you ever given back to this nation that has nurtured, educated, and given you the freedom to express yourself on a forum such as this one? And what in the hell have you done, or contributed, to deserve it?" Or is it just something that mommy and daddy owes you? Dennis

They are called taxes jack ass, and you arn't the onlyone who pays them...

Both my grandfathers served in WWII my fathers father was also in korea and vietnam , as was my father and both of his brothers (Vietnam). I respect my family members very much for what they fought for, for their protection of ME. As far as what I am doing... I pay taxes and live a fairly peaceful life. I am trying to raise my children to be decent upstanding individuals. I volunteer at my kids school and go to soccer games like a good mom. I feel like I am doing my part. I never wanted to be super man, and frankly I am the WRONG woman to be in a combat situation. Most people do what they can, we all play our part no matter how small that is. I feel sad that you would go out of your way to devalue all the regulare people out here, just doing the best we can.