86ed

jon

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've got to agree. Posting here is not a right... but a priviledge. This is a private forum and if I get too outragious please let me know. I do have some strong feelings about the way that climbing is evolving, and I don't always employ the best tact. I'm an old fart (44) and I've never been known to be "polically correct." I still enjoy being here, and thanks for tolerating me. Dennis

Reply to Jay B, There is nothing that I have to prove to you,lad. And there is no route descriptions, (beta) as you say, that I'm willing to provide you. Any information that you could get from me that you couldn't get from a guide book would be antithetical to you're adventure anyway. Good luck and God speed. Dennis

Dennis, dude, get some sleep. I trust you are very careful to avoid all of the beta available on this site, or do you just cross that objective off your list if you inadvertantly learn something about it? Climbing isn't just one sport anymore (yes, its time you face the facts) and while for you it might decrease the adventure, thats not true for everyone, if they ask, they want to know. Besides, climbers have been spewing beta since long before the betamax format was ever invented for videotape.

You won't get kicked for voicing your views, but being overly repetitive will probably get you ignored. If Agent Bob reincarnates as someavatarelse, that's probably the best way to deal with him.

The problem I have with your opinion on the sport is that its a "common wisdom" sort of bigotry: you just know its true, but you have no evidence whatsoever to support your claim, and you don't seem to hear anyone else that disagrees. 44 isn't that old btw, I'll cross that hurdle in about two weeks myself, and there are more than a few folks on this board that are my peers. You might imagine yourself in a room full of children (especially from the level of discourse sometimes [big Grin] ) but it just isn't so. Besides, do you remember being 22? Didn't you think of yourself as an adult?

You certainly could make a point that the nature of climbing, (or as I think of it, the range of the palette) has changed over the last 20 years. You can't lay the blame for that at the feet of "Gen X" though, that's just limbaughesque jingoistic spray. If you know otherwise, please provide some backing facts. Here's one for you: Kevin Pogue, the guy mentioned in that newspaper article about bolt wars at Vantage as the one most responsible for bolts at Vantage? I've met him and he's at least our age, sporting a fine example of male pattern baldness, and teaching at Whitman College.

Cheers mate

quote:

Originally posted by JayB:

Even today I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone under thirty putting up new-bolted lines. I suspect this is partly a cost issue, and also partly because most of the accessible lines on quality rock that can't be protected with gear have already been bolted and there's really no need.

I drilled my first bolts at 23. Even now Im not 30 (YET!!!) [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

Reply to Jay B, There is nothing that I have to prove to you,lad. And there is no route descriptions, (beta) as you say, that I'm willing to provide you. Any information that you could get from me that you couldn't get from a guide book would be antithetical to you're [sic] adventure anyway. Good luck and God speed. Dennis

Dennis:

While I do ask for beta or opinions on technical matters from time to time, and am thankful for those that respond, that was not the intent of my post.

I was just hoping that as a self-annointed "old-timer" that you had something to contribute to the site other than, or at least in addition to, pounding the "I despise sport climbers/the youth of America" drum at every opportunity. I still suspect that that's the case, but one would never know it from reading your posts.

Regards,

It doesn't really matter what the subject matter is: young people are generally more liberal than older people. The older one gets the more conservative one gets. When the 20-something crowd gets to be Dennis' age, they'll probably be as "conservative" as he is now. Meanwhile people of Dennis' generation will be too old to care (or perhaps will have already shuffled up the Grand Tallus Field to that Great Climbing Wall in the Sky).

There will always be points of contention between the old and young: "Son, when I was your age, we didn't have GoreTex. When it rained, our underwear got wet. So quit complaining about the humidity!" And so on and so on.

Before Dennis turns in his thesis I thought I'd do him the favor of telling him that a good arguement in usually made with a fair amount of conclusive data that supports that arguement.

I'm sure my friends and others in my generation (I'm 26) that are over fighting in Afghanistan are saying the opposite of Dennis, "Where are those damn 44 year olds, all they do is send us all over the place to fight someone else's war while they collect their medicare and drink long islands."

I have to state that the youth of America tend to be liberals and that liberals bug me anymore. They seem to think that anything goes and that everything is relative... that strong opinions are bad because you could be accused of being opinionated. Generation-Xers, and the following generation which I choose to call Gen-A-holes, are a breed apart from what this nation was built on. Think about it. These kids have not known war or sacrifice or given anything back to this nation. They have only taken, and taken, and taken and been spoiled rotten by their parents. It's little wonder that they are wont to walk far from their SUVs and are rampantly destroying the rock with their cordless drill technology. They are selfish... and I'll keep on saying it. Dennis

Ummm, Dennis, since you are essentially the same age as me, I know you were too young for the draft for Vietnam, but by the time the Gulf War came around you were too old and they wouldn't take you if you wanted, unless you were venerable career military already serving. From what I read on the board, the Caveman's got more combat time and more right to spew about the cost of freedom, its you and I who send them out there to make the world safe for Exxon/Mobil and our mutual funds. And unlike young Erik the neo-con republican, I'm your worst nightmare, a flaming left wing liberal who thinks the damned republican-wannabe democrats are too far to the right. But screw the political debate, I'm planning on climbing with Erik in the near future. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by btowle:

Dennis, I am actually a couple of years older than you. I was wondering if you may have grown up in a small rural town. [snip]

Appologies to all of you conservative, hard climbing, "take care of yourself" "city folk".
[smile]

I read in the Kinsey Report that over 20% of rural males and 5% of rural females reported that their first sexual experience was with an animal whereas only 2% and 0% of urban males and females so indicated... [Eek!]

[ 06-26-2002, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Dru ]

quote:

I read in the Kinsey Report that over 20% of rural males and 5% of rural females reported that their first sexual experience was with an animal whereas only 2% and 0% of urban males and females so indicated.

If you include watching artificial insemination [Eek!][Eek!] or watching the real thing [Eek!][Eek!][Eek!] , I might tend to agree. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

And unlike young Erik the republican, I'm your worst nightmare, a flaming left wing liberal who thinks the damned republican-wannabe democrats are too far to the right. But screw the political debate, I'm planning on climbing with Erik in the near future.
[big Grin]

not after i just found out you are a pinko leftist commie!!!!!

[Wazzup][Razz][laf][big Drink][big Drink][Cool][Roll Eyes]

left wing, right wing... same coin. Sometimes you just have to step out of the game all together and make up your own rules [Wink] And I think that it is correct that repubs and democtats spend more time swapping sides of the fence then housewives spend swapping gossip over the fencs [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by sk:

left wing, right wing... same coin. Sometimes you just have to step out of the game all together and make up your own rules
[Wink]
And I think that it is correct that repubs and democtats spend more time swapping sides of the fence then housewives spend swapping gossip over the fencs
[big Grin]

than housewives spend swapping husbands...? [Razz]

[ 06-26-2002, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Dru ]