86ed

jon

I don't really give a frigging rat's ass if I was wrong or not. I've been wrong before, and I'm sure that I'll be wrong again before I die. That's called being human and actually taking a stance on an issue, rather than considering everything in shades of grey for fear that I may actually be proven to be wrong. Regardless, there are still too many bolts being drilled in my sacred rock and I want to know why? Stop it. There are future generations that might actually climb better than you ever will. Dennis

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with jon. Most of the bolts that exist today wre drilled by the former generation of climbers in the 80's and 90's, mostly by middle aged folks.

The youger generation that lack bolting ethics are ussualy too lazy to care about drilling anyway, they just go bouldering. [big Grin][Razz]

[ 06-28-2002, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Lambone ]

I have just patented the Dirt Bolt, after extensive testing on the TOOF, North Gully of the Chief and other exotic locales. I expect Utah climbers to buy large quantities.

Exact details are in the Pat. (US Pat. No 15497523-876A-G1) but I can tell you each DirtBolt is 1 foot long and operates on the approximate same principle as as a CO2-capsule-emplaced ice screw. See Cliffhanger for more details of our propietary placement system.

Yeah, but honestly, have you ever seen or heard of someone less than twenty years old drilling new bolts? Are the people coming out to sport crags in droves also drilling bolts? No, usually not. They come to sport climb to learn what climbing is all about via the "safest" method.

Why don't you guys just come out and say it:

you don't want any new climbers to get involved in YOUR "sacred" activity. Keep dreamin...

This is RURP:

Climbing and clipping those bolt routes is a passive form of endorsement for them no matter who puts up the routes or how old they are. I suspect that much of this activity is performed by those too lazy to learn how to climb without bolts or too ignorant to know it can be done otherwise or likewise too uninformed to know that bolts are an issue. Others do not care but maybe they should.

RURP has spoken.

quote:

Originally posted by greenfork:

Originally posted by Dru:

Dennis is pretty obviously an avatar of somebody on this board (im guessing Pope or P.Puget or likewise) and you guys are all

Dennis Harmon == Dennis the Menace, for one.

(they both don't know how to spell "veteran")

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=000116[ /QUOTE]

I know Dennis the Menace, and you sir are no Dennis the Menace [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

Dru, Where and when can I buy some of your Dirt Bolts? Will they be sold in Leavenworth? Maybe you could talk your distributers into re-soleing scuba climbing boots, as well. Just a thought. Dennis

dennis, dirt bolts are available only manufacturer direct at this time. send me $500 in small bills.

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

I firmly believe that so-called "sport climbing" together with rampant bolting of my beloved rock is spelling the death of my beloved sport, and that it is being done, largely, by an entire generation of spoiled youth of this country who have only taken, and taken, and taken... and have never been required to give anything back.

Dennis, if you want to see less bolts, teach a gaper how to place a hex and how to get comfortable leading runout over a placement without worrying about falling to their death. Climbing grand-wall at Squamish a few weeks back some hotshit kid saw us headed up and actually told us "you're taking hexes? there's no where to put hexes up there on those cracks man." Frightening... Seems pretty simple to me: if people are afraid of using trad pro, they're goin to want bolts. And there's not really any policy-maker saying "thou shalt bolt here, but thou shalt get thy ass a massive fine for bolting there..." except natl park rangers I guess...

For what it's worth, I'd be happy if I never have to use a hammer either.

Wanted to tell you that if you want to bitch about Gen X-ers who don't do shit, you can kiss my ass, if you can find it after I get done working my 70-90 hours a week and driving an hour each way, but I don't want to offend your or anyone else.

--Coondog.

This is RURP:

Kick off the Scott guy who wrote this about someone's five year old son on the "Bolt Clipping" talk:

"Your kid got tired?

What a freakin wussie - maybe he was bleeding from the crotch as well, must have been time to change his panties."

Moderators: Kick him off for good in the manner of Agent Orange who previously posted the most revolting attempt at "humor" I have ever read, likewise abusive to small children.

Kick him off now.

Do it.

DO IT NOW!!!

The limits of spray have been far exceeded.

RURP has spoken!!!