Climber perishes at Rocky Butte

Lodestone

I don't know what to say except that it's a crying shame that a young guy perished out there. Here's a little bit of info on the accident: http://northeastportland.katu.com/news/public-spaces/climber-rocky-butte-falls-and-dies/440459

Does anyone have any more information? I think Joseph was probably right when he said that Rocky Butte is the most dangerous place to climb in Portland.

Chad

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without more details it's hard to say, but it sounds like this wasn't so much an RB environs-specific accident, per se, as one of some sort of technical oversight typical of rappelling accidents. That said, there can be plenty of distractions out there.

In the end though, RB is what it is. It's home to a number of fine lines, but in a problematic setting and with serious safety issues. Then again, pretty much any crag you approach and setup on from the top should set off automatic warning signals in your head; add slick-as-snot soil conditions and you have a very dangerous place.

I think many folks seriously underestimate the place because it's a short, innocuous, urban 'practice' crag - don't be one of them - be on your guard and extremely careful at all times out there.

Ditto what he said. Sorry to hear about this.

I was in Yos and got a text that this had occurred. 99.5% of the time, anytime a rap accident occurs, it seems to be user error. Damn sad nonetheless. The story said that 2 "experienced" climbers who were in their 20's were with him.....50' fall could very well be that he wasn't connected and stepped off the edge thinking he was.

Any info? As usual, the newz has all but totally missed what ever it was that most likely really happened.

• 5 weeks later...