[TR] Shuksan - Crawshaw Couloir 5/13/2011

Trip: Shuksan - Crawshaw Couloir

Date: 5/13/2011

Trip Report:

Well I think I picked the wrong day to ski this thing. With ample POW on the White Salmon, I thought the Crawshaw Couloir would for sure be powder too! But I mostly found various icy breakable crusts on the steep upper half. I dug a snow cave near the top of the couloir and waited for several hours for the crusts to dissolve into soft snow with some NW afternoon sun exposure, but it was not meant to be, and I skied the thing in nasty crusty conditions which was quite scary at times, some sidestepping was necessary to negotiate the runnel, and I had to pack the skis and use crampons to get past a 10 foot 55 dg ice step that connected the couloir to the upper slope.

This is the third time I've climbed the couloir this year, having found powder in the lower poriton twice back in January, but the steeper upper half was an ice climb. (Link to video --

)

I remmember someone saying they think Rene Crawshaw skied this couloir back in the day.

2064139810103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

view from the top

2715135350103935217S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by danhelmstadter

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic