Leader Packs

duckfeet

I've been looking for a new leader pack. I've had the Flash 18 and its been ok, but the opening is too tight and the inner pockets are kind of a pain. I've been able to use my wife's older Cierzo 18 and it has been awesome. Its actually been so awesome that Arcteryx had to do their normal thing of making something great then "updating" it into something not so great.

I haven't personally had my hands on this new version but why add another zipper and take away the shoulder padding? Does this help, not really...

Anyone used this new version and have an opinion? Does it have a sternum strap? Hows the zipper/drawcord combo work?

I like Cilo's 30L a lot, but after playing with the 20L it seems much smaller than both the Flash and the Cierzo. Anyone used one?

Edited by duckfeet

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patagonia makes a pretty sweet 26L pack. I have the current version but have only got to use it a little. I've used the previous version while climbing down in patagonia a few times and liked it.

here's a link: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-lightweight-travel-pack?p=48817-0-247&pcc=1128

Patagonia_Lightweight_Travel_Pack.jpeg

I've been thinking about cutting off the lid, as the pack is plenty big enough for a leaders pack and it doesn't rest well unless the pack is full.

Patagonia makes a pretty sweet 26L pack. I have the current version but have only got to use it a little. I've used the previous version while climbing down in patagonia a few times and liked it.

here's a link: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-lightweight-travel-pack?p=48817-0-247&pcc=1128

Patagonia_Lightweight_Travel_Pack.jpeg

I've been thinking about cutting off the lid, as the pack is plenty big enough for a leaders pack and it doesn't rest well unless the pack is full.

+1. I have the Flash and it's ok, but last time I was out, my trad partner whipped this sucker out (it folds down into a small pouch in itself) and put me to shame. He got it at Second Ascent for a descent price.

new cierzo 25 ... im not the biggest fan of dead bird ... but this pack is making me happy the last few climbs since i got it ... only used on rock so far though

i bought it at mec so if it dies like a dead bird ... ill just swap it out

MEC also makes a nice cheap pack for 20 something dollahs

I considered the verto 26 but 26L is pretty big for a basic leaders pack. I've got a 30L pack that fits that spot. I've seen an older version of the patagonia that didn't seem too large, its probably worth checking out. I'd be curious to hear about any additional experience with the new cierzo 18.

I'm kinda shocked how large the leaders packs everyone is suggesting is -- my vote would be the BD Bullet, burly for rock+not too large at 18L. I can fit everything for a day of ice in it, the 2ed can carry their own stuff in another or carries a 30L

Other then for alpine I think the Bullet is perfect.

For an Alpine daypack the MEC Gennie is my vote at 30L.

-- my vote would be the BD Bullet, burly for rock+not too large at 18L.

I have a old version of the Bullet. Definitely bombproof and haul-able if needed. I had two lash points sew on to carry an axe/tool works pretty good. My only complaints .. mine is 16L, a bit too small for me, and the shoulder straps are too close together behind my neck.

• 1 month later...
This is the one I'm looking at. I like the fact that it has 2 ice axe loops for ice climbing, and only 310 grams, 26 liters, and seems to double as a compression stuff sack:

http://www.rei.com/product/810835/the-north-face-verto-26-pack

Brad.

I have that one and it doubles as a stuff sack too and I have an old jansport "summit pack" that is very similar

I really like the MEC one though as it has the foam pad in it.