WTB guidebooks: Southern France

joshzielinski

going to france after we get married in a few months and having trouble finding guidebooks/helpful sites on the internets... looking for info on les calanques in particular as we'll be down there for a week before heading up to Chamonix area.

anyone have something they'd like to part with on either area i'd be interested. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider visiting Verdon. It is an absolutely unbelievable cliff and my non-climbing wife enjoyed the visit when I did some climbing and then we drove across the valley to picnic at an abandoned castle that wasn't in any guidebook but clearly in view from the top of the cliff. It is a good place.

How's your French?

http://www.grimper.com/News/3084-un-nouveau-topo-pour-les-calanques-quot-escalade-calanques-de-marseille-a-la-ciotat-quot.html

http://www.topo-calanques.com/

– " Escalade dans les Calanques " de G. Bernard, D. Gorgeon, C. Kern, B. Privat par le CD 13 de la FFME, le plus récent, donc à jour avec tous les nouveaux secteurs, 04 42 66 35 05.

– " Sélection d’escalades dans les Calanques " chez Edisud.

Stunning area. Rained until the last morning I was there, will be going back for sure. Car rental recommended...

180793_1826793555653_1414734843_2012422_5822888_n.jpg

Many of guides are multi lingual but you will probably have a hard time finding some until you get there. Your best is to wait until you get there. As for Cham, drop into Snell's Sports as they probably have the best selection in town.

Oh and if you rent a car, do not leave anything in them (not even in the boot), especially around the Calanques. Useless you want to have deal with it getting stollen.

thanks for the info Matts and Scared.

my french is piss poor, however between my fluent english and spanish I am able to make sense of much of the guidebook/site squabble.

waiting until i get there might be my only option... i am fine with that, hopefully the "planner-type" i am marrying will be too.

still looking for guidebooks if anyone's got one on this side of the planet. i'll send it back to you in October if it's something you'd rather cherish forever...

Thanks!