Mt. Hood weather/cloud information

vsigler

I will be visiting in about three weeks and will begin watching the weather closely as my trip nears. Does anyone have an idea of a resource that provide data about the cloud ceiling and cloud deck elevations around Mt. Hood? I keep seeing these crappy forecasts for the Timberline area but am wondering if the conditions higher up might be better (or at least more clear)...or if the forecasts aren't as bad as they appear.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No specific infor on cloud ceiling/deck, but there are specific forecasts for various elevations.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Hood/forecasts/2500

i've noticed some big differences between this and what the national weather service is predicting.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=45.37053903312977&lon=-121.69486999511719&site=sew&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

The mountain-forecast site is calling for 5.5 inches inches tonight while the national weather service is predicting 20+. As always with the weatherman it makes me wonder who is right.

I will be visiting in about three weeks and will begin watching the weather closely as my trip nears. Does anyone have an idea of a resource that provide data about the cloud ceiling and cloud deck elevations around Mt. Hood? I keep seeing these crappy forecasts for the Timberline area but am wondering if the conditions higher up might be better (or at least more clear)...or if the forecasts aren't as bad as they appear.

Optimism about weather and Ht. Hood are rarely a good combination.

Check NOAA's NWS ADDS (Aviation Digital Data Service)

Here is the link to the TAF (Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts)

Aviation Forecast

Type "KPDX" and Click "Translated" then "Get TAFs"

This will show you the clouds, winds, and ceiling in AGL units - that's Above Ground Level, so you have to add Portland's elevation of a whopping 31 feet to that number.

Example:

Clouds: broken clouds at 2500 feet AGL = 2531 MSL

overcast cloud deck at 4000 feet AGL = 4031 MSL

Terms:

Few: 1/8 sky coverage

Scattered: 2/8 to 4/8 sky coverage (less than 50% of the sky)

Broken: 5/8 to 7/8 sky coverage (more than 50% of the sky)

Overcast: 8/8 sky coverage

Or get the free AeroWeather app for pilots - you can compare forecasts for PDX and The Dalles and at least get a rough idea that way.