Summer heat question...

Chase R

Hey,

I'm moving left again and am in the formulation stage of my plan. I will be leaving Wyoming after a WFR course in late June, and my ultimate destination is the Bend area to learn me more stuff...

So anyway, my question is:

Do I head straight to Central Oregon and find work/a room and climb some tuff, or is it just too darn hot to climb at Smith/nearby areas in July?

I know that this question is largely subjective, and I will likely get a variety of responses, but I'd like to see what people think. Is it bearable? I do have some scratch saved up so I could extend my trip up north further(Index?), but if it isn't so bad I would like to post up near Smith as early as reasonable and save the loot, find a job, and find residence so I can get in-state tuition a year later.

Thanks for any advice/beta.

Chase

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can climb at Smith 12 months out of the year. You have to chase the shade/sun but you'll find lots of places to hide from both in no time. The massive number of tourons will be more of an annoyance in the summer months.

I've done Smith in July. The only way you can climb anywhere near your limit is to get up at 5am. Warm up, pick a project that is in the shade with a breeze to work on and the quit at about 1pm and go swimming (not in the river of course) Repeat the next day.

I worked at a location just about across the street from Smith for several summers and I would agree that you can climb there in the morning and evening in the middle of the Summer but, even if you find some shade, you are not going to want to climb there mid-day. It gets hot there.