Best synthetic 20 deg sleeping bag

Woodcutter

I'm on the hunt for a light (below 3lbs) synthetic sleeping bag. In the 15-20 deg range.

I've looked at the Mountain Hardware Lamina & Ultralamina & they look reasonable. The Mont Bell burrow-bags seem heavy, but I've not looked at them.

Any insight or recommendations would be great.

Thanks. Jake

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a North Face Cat's Meow a couple of years ago. Fairly cheap, well designed, but not a 20 deg. bag. I sleep warm and this bag is only half comfy to about 25. I know ratings are "survivable" ratings, but this bag is not as warm as other 20's. My 2 cents.

light (below 3lbs) synthetic sleeping bag. In the 15-20 deg range.

Good luck with that one Jake. If you want comfort 20 degrees, it will be very hard to find a synthetic bag for less than 3 pounds. The down bags at FF come in at around 1.75 pounds.

Your best bet may be to call someone at pro mountain sports and get their feel for this. Those guys keep on top of those kinds of things. They had a montbell bag 15degree for 3.75 pounds. and a 30degree for 2.5 pounds.

I got myself a MH Ultralamina 15, weighing in at just under 3lbs. But, I haven't had a chance to test it. By all reviews, both comments and sites like SuperTopo, it's highly regarded. I'd say this comment only is worth 1 cent, for lack of testing. Someone help me get out in the mountains...

For the past several years I've been using a TNF Orion sleeping bag - 20 degrees F and 2lbs 8 oz - but unfortunately it looks like that bag has been discontinued. The Fission appears to their new version of this with the added toebox zipper (appearance is the same otherwise). I can't say enough good things about this bag - with the right clothing choices its comfortable in a wide range of temperatures, has P1 insulation, and for an ardent synthetic supporter such as me you really couldn't ask for much more in a 20 deg bag at that weight. If you can find one anywhere I'd highly recommend it.

I've got the 0 degree version of the Ultralamina. I can't say enough good things about this bag after spending 100+ nights in the for past two seasons. Compresses incredibly well- close to down bag size- and has held its loft and held up well to heavy use- bivvying in the dirt, etc. My only bitch is that the zipper is prone to snagging on the outside of the bag- other than that- best synthetic bag I have ever owned.

I've got the 0 degree version of the Ultralamina. I can't say enough good things about this bag after spending 100+ nights in the for past two seasons. Compresses incredibly well- close to down bag size- and has held its loft and held up well to heavy use- bivvying in the dirt, etc. My only bitch is that the zipper is prone to snagging on the outside of the bag- other than that- best synthetic bag I have ever owned.

Do you find this bag warm? I was thinking of getting it until I realized that mountain hardwear is not basing their rating of their bags on the EU rating system. I saw it quoted here that the ultralamina 0º has only a EN 13537 T-limit of 14º, compared to say, marmot, where their helium 15º has a T-limit of 16º. So a mountain hardwear 0º is almost the equivalent of a marmot 15º.

To the OP'er my guess if that if the T-limit of the O degree bag is 14º then the T-limit of the 20 degree bag is in the 30s, and thats the limit, not the comfort level. Just something to think about--for many companies that do not list the EU ratings, their bags could be 10 degrees colder than a bag whose rating is based on the T-limit.

Edited by ktschmid