[TR] Zion - Gentleman's Agreement 4/27/2011

Trip: Zion - Gentleman's Agreement

Date: 4/27/2011

Trip Report:

Climb: Zion, Gentleman's Agreement, attempt

Date of Climb: 4/27/2011

Trip Report:

I was never interested in Zion Nat'l Park until I stopped in with my wife on our tour of the Southwest last year. Eyes

popping, I vowed to return soon and climb one of those big sand walls. DavidW had mentioned Gentleman's Agreement in

passing, how he'd wanted to climb it for ten years now. So Judy and I drove up to the end of the road and looked at

it. Nice. I took a shot which stood on the mantel in my living room through the Winter, waiting for me to commit.

377o.jpg

Commit we did, in late Winter, plane seats were found, gear was borrowed and a road trip was born. A perfect plan with

Significant Others was sealed, visions of one or two nights in a portaledge lifted spirits through the miserable

Seattle Spring of 2011. Then my wife got a job and bailed, no big deal, Jan was still psyched to go. Dave is a lucky

man, she even hauled water for us on the approach.

gentlemans0013.jpg

It rained the first two days we were there, perfectly allowing us to gear up, buy food and get organized.

gentlemans0005.jpg

Two trips up the wall with all the gear. No real need to trim down, we wanted to be comfortable and have a good time.

Strangely, I forgot to fill the flask with the Makers but we had a pint of good Tequila. Still, the pig was around 65

lbs. The route is on the left Mary, the left of the three peaks in the Sun. Route is up the sun/shade margin, first

dihedral.

gentlemans0011.jpg

I took a series of shots landscape mode, from bottom to top slightly overlapping, in ten shots, but the top ones are

fuzzy dammit, sorry. It was gonna be cool.

gentlemans0034.jpg

gentlemans0033.jpg

gentlemans0032.jpg

gentlemans0031.jpg

gentlemans0030.jpg

gentlemans0029.jpg

gentlemans0028.jpg

gentlemans0027.jpg

gentlemans0026.jpg

gentlemans0025.jpg

Anyway, here's a couple of the first pitch, all we did. David wasn't feeling up to it so we bailed.

gentlemans0038r.jpg

gentlemans0039r.jpg

gentlemans0040r.jpg

gentlemans0041r.jpg

Later we did Ashtar Command as a consolation. It was fun, but not like topping out on a big wall. Nobody guarantees success every time, that's just mountaineering. Oh dear, succumbing to trite aphorism. Blast.

Gear Notes:

We went big. Three #6, three #5, three #4 Camalots. Double of everything else.

Approach Notes:

An hour and a half up, each time.

Edited by Otto

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic