[TR] Shuksan - Hanging Glacier ski 5/4/2011

Trip: Shuksan - Hanging Glacier ski

Date: 5/4/2011

Trip Report:

I was lucky to find the Shukhorn with bluebird weather and good snow conditions the other day. I ascended the White Salmon, putting in a skin track, there was a bit of a slab, but the sheer plane was dirty and there was no sign of propagation or collapse, the layer failed mostly around 20 with compression tests.

I had another line in mind, but decided that the hg would be a better choice. Skiing was fun and route find fairly straightforward for the upper portion of the route, though there were some big holes lurking with little visible indication. I dropped into the skiers left gully, where I found a patch of nasty thick water ice crust that i sidestepped with an axe for 20 feet, the rest of the gully was mostly good, with a few sections of ice crust lurking under a few inches. The apron was sick, then the snow became manky below, with somewhat sketchy iso-muck for the ascent back up to the parking area.

I met Zach Clanton at the parking area, he's a photographer and happened to get a few shots of me skiing down, big thanks!

2669749330103935217HGRhAK_ph.jpg.fc789651f8d27da52698d7978088f894.jpg

I did a little solo tr at Mt. Erie yesterday, incredible place! stoked to check out some seaside rock at deception pass later.

2981200120103935217macnTt_ph.jpg.55feea344943594dcb56f255504b4e95.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey I'm not sure if it's my browser, or my school's Blocking software, or what. I can't see your pictures. Can you put them as an attachment, or post a link, or put them in your gallery... I'd love to see them!

Thanks!

Dave

• 8 months later...