Climbing Survey!

Clay Nelson

Hello, my name is Clay Nelson and I am working with University of Oklahoma Department of Orthopedic Surgery and am helping several physicians conduct a survey looking at upper extremity injuries among rock climbers over the past 5 years. The purpose of this survey is to identify specific aspects of climbing that may be associated with upper extremity injuries and different types of upper extremity injuries sustained while climbing. In order to do this we are asking climbers to participate in a brief online survey. All responses will be anonymous and used only in aggregate to identify significant relationships between climbing and upper extremity injuries.

If you are interested in helping out please click the link below (or copy and past it into your browser) and fill out the brief survey! Thank you so much for you help!

www.surveymonkey.com/s/VSPNVXX

Several of you may have responded to an earlier post that we sent out requesting you to email us at ClimbingInjurySurvey@gmail.com If you have done this, you do not need to repeat this survey as we have your responses saved! We are now trying a different approach to help boost our numbers. Thank you again to everyone who has participated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I traded an email with Clay and filled out the survey, but you guys have made me wonder. Googling shows he's posted the survey on a host of climbing sites, but there's no one by that name at UO Medicine.

Clay, care to provide some evidence of your connection to UO Medicine?

If not, maybe we should post warning notes on the other forums where information requests have been posted...

maybe we should post warning notes on the other forums where information requests have been posted...

i'd say yes to that. i don't know what other forums he's posted in, so maybe you can do that, but since the survey itself is rather vague, coupled with him not responding to any questions about its purposes....

I'm trying smell what you guys are smelling... what exactly is fishy here?

He did claim that he is assisting in the research for physicians who are part of UO. It didn't seem to me that he was claiming he was a UO physican/professer himself?

I guess I don't see the danger in any of it either way... Am I being nieve?

He did claim that he is assisting in the research for physicians who are part of UO. It didn't seem to me that he was claiming he was a UO physican/professer himself?

There are lots of folks who try to portray climbers as thrill seeking adventure junkies who put their lives at risk at the taxpayer's expense when a rescue/recovery occurs.

This survey looks like a troll's work to me. I doubt he will post a response to our inquiry for more details. He is probably just sitting back and waiting for the survey results to come in.

Already many life insurance policies don't cover people who participate in "extreme" sports. Maybe health insurance companies are trying to figure out the financial impact of insuring climbers.

"There are lots of folks who *try* to portray climbers as thrill seeking adventure junkies who put their lives at risk at the taxpayer's expense when a rescue/recovery occurs."

Try?...you are kidding right?

"portray climbers as thrill seeking adventure junkies who put their lives at risk"

And you are going to change that fact how exactly?

Me thinks several here protest too much. Heaven forbid anyone with a PHD in sports medicine think about preventing climbing injuries or getting any help from the community to figure out just how high the injury rate is.

http://www.oumedicine.com/body.cfm?id=2984

Surprsied how many can mimic the Sarah Palin caricature here.

Heaven forbid anyone with a PHD in sports medicine think about preventing climbing injuries or getting any help from the community to figure out just how high the injury rate is.

amen.

but exactly how is the survey doing either of the above?

if i posted a survey, i would certainly answer questions about said survey if someone posited them; wouldn't you? my original question was put forth a few weeks ago; all that happened was that he/she posted the survey again in a new thread.

could be he/she thought my questions to be insubstantial; fair enough. but not getting any response (coupled with a rather weak medical survey) makes me question his/her aims.

perhaps you have a more logical/studied response?

"if i posted a survey"

Point is you didn't. Might not be the way you or I would do it or answer it. Or do follow up.

Not the best survey in the world or the most detailed from my limited perspective..but then not MY SURVEY. And more importantly not like it is going to invade your world or that of the climbing community in general by answering a few generic questions. Unless of course your age and sex are a secret.

Of course it is easier to jump on the guy that asked than it is to ignore the question. Logical response? It is the third post the guy made...easy enough to not understand forums..this one or any of them and dulicate posts or repost or dl post or just fook things up.

Huge leap to think or even imply there is an misrepresentation.

If i cared, which I don't, I suspect Mr. Nelson could be tracked down in a few minutes on Monday morning. But i have better things to do as I suspect Mr. Nelson does.....besides come answer some wackos on cc.com.

Likely answer? "Sure Doc, I know some climbers. I'll do a online survey and ask aroud for ya. Be gone next week though going to the Valley on Spring break." :rolleyes:

He has twice responded promptly to emails sent to the address listed. If you have something to say/ask perhaps send it there.

Last time I checked, we live in the land of "innocent until proven guilty"

Last time I checked, we live in the land of "innocent until proven guilty"

No, we don't.

Nor should we. "Innocent until proven guilty" is the standard for criminal prosecutions - and it should be. Before we convict somebody of a crime and fine them or lock them up we should be more than damn sure they are guilty.

But before we complete any survey we should be damn sure it is for a good purpose. "Hesitate until you are convinced it is for a good purpose" may be a better standard.

First off, I would like to apologize to everyone for not getting back to you sooner. As stated previously my name is Clay Nelson and I am assisting several physicians at my university with this research project. I am currently in medical school and between balancing schoolwork, rotations and helping residents and physicians with their research project I have not had much time to check back with these posts. I have however tried to keep up with the email account we started to assist with this project. Again, I apologize in the delay in getting back with you all and in no way meant to misrepresent myself. With that said this project was spearheaded by a resident in our orthopedic surgery department. Each resident is required to complete a research project as part of their training and many of them incorporate their hobbies or personal interests into their project such as climbing. How the results are used varies depending on the outcome of the study. Ultimately they hope to publish their results through different avenues associated with their research. If you have any questions please email me at climbinginjurysurvey@gmail.com and I will get back with you as soon as possible. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to post again, but our statistician has begun looking over our results and contacted me to see if we could get 25-50 more responses. I know many of you have already filled out the survey and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help with this! If anyone has not participated in the survey and would like to help us finish this, please click on the link below. Again thanks for all of those who have helped out!

I was surprised by your questions about abrasions. Anybody who climbs cracks that are stretching their comfort or mastery zone sustains abrasions on a regular basis. These are not considered injuries and, as far as I know, have no negative health consequences. Do your survey designers know this?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you again to all of those who have participated in our survey. We are making a final push to boost our numbers and would appreciate ANYONE who has not taken the survey to please do so! It should only take a couple of minutes. Thanks for your help with this and please forward this to anyone you know that might be interested in helping. If anyone has questions regarding our survey please email me at climbinginjurysurvey@gmail.com. Thanks!