Decent Gloves

yapajake

Hey all I am looking for a decent pair of gloves to use on Rainier, Adams, etc. I would also like to be able to use them in the winter for skiing. I had a pair of OR Alti Gloves, but they seemed too bulky and didn't feel that great when gripping a ski pole. Would to OR Arete's work on Rainier, or do I need something more substantial? I am trying to get something with a liner. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sno-Seal+Kinco work gloves. Cheap, warm, durable and they work better than most over priced wiz-bang gloves. I work in a winter mountain environment and have been through many pairs of gloves and the Kincos are definitely the best. I have the aretes also and they are ok but not very warm or durable.

http://www.gloves-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=WK-1927KW

while maybe not the best setup for skiing (maybe it is), but for mountaineering in variable or expected variable conditions, a thin liner and a windstopper glove and a standard goretex mitten shell w liner is a good relatively lightweight for the span of weather conditions it would be good for.

95% of the time, the mittens stay in the pack. But if the weather turns, and it will eventually, it is nice to have that protection for the hands.

I have the REI switchback gloves and I've used them snowboarding as well as on my climbs up Mt. Shasta and Mt. Rainier. I'm planning on bringing them along with me to Denali in June along with some Mountain Hardwear absolute zero mitts.

The switchback gloves are plenty warm and I have enough dexterity to do most anything that I need to. Fleece liners are removable and the outer shell is the REI elements 2 layer (waterproof breathable blah blah) material.

They're cheap too! Check them out.