rape versus seduction of women/mountains

Dennis_Harmon

Sport climbing, as they call it, is the rape of the mountains. Trad, however, (hell, we didn't even have a name for it then.. it was just called climbing) is akin to seduction. Either we get to have sex with the girl or we don't. Regardless, we walked away like like gentlemen and lived to climb another day. Please people, leave your damned cordless drills at home this season, at least for a couple outings, and try to learn something about the art of seduction. You may even find that the orgasims are better. Dennis

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good God... why the heck do you call it "sport climbing" anyway when you're not giving the mountains even a remotely sporting chance to win, i.e. failure, injury, or death? It's akin to sportsmen/hunters who murder corn fed deer from tree stands with fucking bazookas. Takes big balls to do that. Dennis

Ummm, Dennis, you're anthropomorphising here. The mountains aren't your friend, lover, or enemy. They aren't out to get you, help you, or give you wood: they don't even notice. When it takes a couple million years to just roll over in your sleep, (see, I can be anthroposophmoric too)mayflies like us just don't rate. Climbing is strictly a human game, and the rules are arbitrary. Arguing over rules is perhaps the oldest human game. But in the geological scheme, a few million bolts don't matter one whit, they'll be gone in the blink of an eye. Just go check out Squamish after the next time the glaciers pass through.

Dennis, I can appreciate your pain. I knew kids in school that were like you...friendless and insecure. Of course your stint as hall monitor didn't help your cause. As a jock, I confess to razzing kids like you; wedgies and toilet head dunks were funny too. I'm not overly proud of the fact, but it was funny at the time. Anyway, please try to keep your insecurities in check, lighten up on the masterbation and don't go off on us one day with a loaded Glock, pipebomb, or something equally nasty.

trask

daisy, I have to agree with you that it was an insensitive choice of metaphor, but it was the best I could come up with at the moment. If I offended you, or any other women, I apologize. Not to justify, but I wasn't the first to use it... could have been Y. Chounard or R. Robbins in their writings. Again, my apologies and I won't use it again. Dennis