Mt Defiance

jennibsmiles

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Just attempted to go up Mt. Defiance (C Gorge) yesterday 03.03.2012 and the trail is impassable. Too many winter storms have knocked down trees/limbs/rocks/and there is a place in the first two miles where about 15 feet of the trail is completely washed away from a mudslide. It is literally an obstacle course right now. I am bummed because it's my favorite trainer and I am training for Mt. Hood right now. This is the first time I went up this season. Will have to wait until some serious trail maintenance is completed. I went up Starvation Ridge Trail instead and starting running into the same problems. Came back home and ran some hills. JB

Edited by JB_PDXS

No trail above 5000' - it was all snow and I wished I brought skis. I am not doing well with postholing.

Postholing sucks. For everyone...

JB if you're in PDX there's always Larch Mt... 14mi R/T from Multnomah Falls and is a great training hike. Shouldn't be too much snow up there this year...

I miss Portland sometimes.

d

Although not as long and sustained as Mt. Defiance,Mt. Hamilton is a good training run,( do it from the front--take the right-hand(East) trail where it divides); also Dog Mt., Table Mt. and Ruckel Ridge. A good double is to go do Munra Point(nice and steep), then go across the river to do Mt. Hamilton or Dog Mt., or do Hamilton and Dog the same day. You don't get the benefit of the altitude of Defiance, but if you carry a well-loaded pack and push the pace, you won't be lacking for conditioning. One other good stiff hike is the North Lake trail, which is pretty relentless for up and steep. It'll kill your quads and calves.

Edited by Mtguide

Although not as long and sustained as Mt. Defiance,Mt. Hamilton is a good training run,( do it from the front--take the right-hand(East) trail where it divides); also Dog Mt., Table Mt. and Ruckel Ridge. A good double is to go do Munra Point(nice and steep), then go across the river to do Mt. Hamilton or Dog Mt., or do Hamilton and Dog the same day. You don't get the benefit of the altitude of Defiance, but if you carry a well-loaded pack and push the pace, you won't be lacking for conditioning. One other good stiff hike is the North Lake trail, which is pretty relentless for up and steep. It'll kill your quads and calves.
I like to run Mt Hamilton when it's not so muddy. Table Mt (next peak east of Hamilton) is a bit longer and a better summit view. Either can be great training grounds but not as long as Defiance.

Table Mountain BLOWS! but hey, its all about the suffering right? Make sure you take the Heartbreak Ridge variation for maximum suckfest that culminates with a few hundred yard boulderfield. Then loop back down, in an effort to avoid the boulderfield, that is nothing but a fairly steep talus trail slope. This is best performed in June with a 45 lb pack. Forgetting the insect repellant is not something I'll likely forget again....

IMG_9155_DxO.jpg