Timberline Trial in June

MTB

Hello ya'll! So I know we've had a pretty bomber snow year, but I haven't lived here long and I'm not exactly used to the lower elevations. Therefore, I'm not the best at estimating probable snowpack during the spring.

This being said, I'm considering hiking the Timberline Trail around Hood and was wondering if it was possible mid-June? Thoughts?

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it will be a timberline trial :laf: for sure.

+with snowpack you can probably go cross country easier

-if it gets warm in the afternoon = postholing

-still can't go as fast as trail runners

-if hot, any fords will be difficult

i would say later july-august is a better bet if you want to make a plan now and actually hike it on trail vs route-find and be majority on snow, but really depends on your experience and interests. consider posting this ? at nwhikers.net or portlandhikers.org for more info

Check out the status on the washout at Eliot Creek, a couple years ago it was pretty easily bypassed by hiking up to the base of the glacier and crossing there. It required some off trail hiking and a willingness to ignore trespassing signs when I looked. I heard a rumor that FS was ticketing people but haven't heard more than that. I'd agree that the trail would suck in June, the later the better.

Twice last year (Mid June, then early July) in that lasting snowpack I did PCT sections that had significant snow. Between 4-6000. Although they were adventures you can forget your 3.5 mph average. As stated, route finding and postholing for sure. I found that often you get caught walking on 40 degree snow that is filling in where the trail is normally "cut out" of the side of the hill. :-(