Single sock with Koflach Arctic Expe for Denali?

TheNumberNine

Hey guys.

Just wanted to see what some of you thought of using a single wool sock with the Koflach Artic Expe for Denali. I just got my hands on some boots and I can't tell if I should use a single sock or a sock with a liner yet. The boots fit comfortably snug with the heavy + liner socks but I'm wondering with foot swell if they'll get too tight. They're also brand spankin' new so I think the liners might pack out a little bit.

Would my feet be warm enough with a single sock + overboots higher up?

What sock arrangements work well for you?

Thoughts, comments, criticisms, and laughs welcome. Thanks peoples.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said the boot fits snug with two socks. Do you not have wiggle room for your toes? You should have a little room in the toes, otherwise front pointing, step kicking, and descending will be uncomfortable. To test the fit, kick a stair riser several times. Your toes should not contact the front of the boot.

Would my feet be warm enough with a single sock + overboots higher up?

To many variables internal and external to be able to definitively answer this kind of question. But my one trip up denali was good with the same boot/overboot/sock and liner setup you are asking about. My boots and socks were new also and I believe they packed in to compensate for any swelling if there was any. Realize though that we had relatively pleasant early june conditions. Your situation may be radically different. (covering my moral/ethical ass)

Your boot situation sounds adequate but don't go cheap on the other gear though.

They're comfortably snug at this point. I can kick stairs and not have my toes hit the front and I can wiggle them but there isn't a ton of room. Since they're brand new boots do you guys think the liners might pack out a little bit and maybe get a little roomier if I hike around a bit with them?

the liners will pack in a little. Not much packing in goes lengthwise but you will notice the looseness in the width of the foot which good for you as this is were the swelling would occur.

And yes, you do need to spend a fair bit of time in them for many reasons. Making your feet conform to the boot. (plastic boots don't break in, you do) Form tough skin on parts of the foot that need to be tough. (think blisters) Developing the right walking pattern for plastic boots. Getting in good climbing shape. Ect. ect. ect.

good luck!

FWIW my feet swell a fair amount at altitude. I tend to just wear one pair of thick wool socks. A liner helps me with blisters for slog days (skiing / dragging sled) but doesn't really matter on days when I'm actually climbing.

Like others have said, the only way to tell how your feet will do is wear the boots a fair amount.

I have the same boots and took them with me to Denali last June. I had previously purchased mine used so the standard liners were a bit off/mangled and fit my feet weird.

Comfort: I upgraded to the intuition liners, had them molded to my feet and didn't have any problems with comfort in Alaska.

Warmth: Again the intuition liners were a big upgrade in warmth and lightness with single sock. Highly recommended, but I can't compare them to brand new stock liners for warmth.

• 2 weeks later...
Which foot are you planning on wearing that sock?

If you have a snug fit on the boot with the sock, the other boot may be loose, and your foot may get cold. I recommend bringing at least 2 socks.

The boot isn't too snug..I feel like breaking them in has helped. I'm not quite sure I get what you're saying... I plan on wearing the socks on both feet? :confused: