economy ice tools

vsigler

I am in the market for an ice tool but don't have the cash to drop on top-shelf gear. I have seen what I would call "economy" tools out there for resonable (and one might say rediculously-low) prices; Stubai Hornet, Omega Pacific Bulldog, barely used DMM Fly, etc. One caveat is that I live in Ohio and make a trip west every year to climb, so these will not get full-time use...just need the second tool for the occasional 50-60 degree slope or to mess around with some top-rope ice-climbing. Does anyone have any experience with these or other reasonably-priced tools ($125 and below)?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, one the biggest differences between the top shelf tools and the economy tools is the quality of the picks. With this in mind, I think it is better to buy older, but high quality tools. Charlet Moser Axar, Black Diamond Rage, Grivel Rambo are all solid tools and can be found used for reasonable prices. Many climbers will advise you to buy the best pair of tools you can possibly afford, and there is logic to that. The reality, however, is if you get a generation-old pair of tools you will have a lot improving to do before you out climb them.

Edited by DPS

I did a round of ice climbing on misc. old strait-shaft tools. I've swung x-15's, black profits, some old lowe and cassin tools, and the omega pacific bulldog. Surprisingly after I ground the pick on the bulldog into something sharp and pointy it was the best of the bunch IMHO.

I have since purchased a pair of aztarex's and I like them very much. I'd say getting an older tool that was high-quality in it's day is probably a good plan.

If you want the old bulldog than send me a PM and we'll come up with a price.