Great Adventure Stories

David_Parker

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The book "Kon-Tiki" was the most inspirational book of my life and I first read it as a kid. It's the story of six Scandinavians who launched themselves into the Pacific on a replica of an ancient South American sailing raft (in 1947). Everyone predicted they would die, but they actually had a good time despite all of the big waves and weird fish. Loads of adventure and positive attitude in there. And they ended up on an island with a bunch of Polynesian wahines! Ironically, many years since I first read it, I now work with the author, Thor Heyerdahl, who went on to do many more wild adventures. He'll be 87 this year and is in terrific physical and mental condition..still organizing expeditions and writing books!

- Dwayner

I think I already posted this but I guess not.

Thor Hyerdahl's books are all great accounts of human perseverance.

Some of the best fictional adventures I've read are " Mount Analogue" by Rene Daumal or "Two years before the mast by Richard Dana"

True stories that read well, "around the world alone" by Joshua Slocum or "Starlight and Storm" by Antione de Saint Exupery.

Mountaineering narratives that ring true to the heart, anything by Gaston Rebauffat, his prose virtually sings! the praises of the mountains in his books!

Not necessarily a story of survival, but motivational nonetheless, is Goran Kropp's solo trip to Everest. With no support the entire way, he rode his bike from Norway to Kathmandu, humped all his gear to basecamp, soloed Everest (with no porters), and rode his bike home. I saw his slideshow a little while ago, and the guy is literally off his rocker.

What a babe magnet.

quote:

Originally posted by EddieE:

Not necessarily a story of survival, but motivational nonetheless, is Goran Kropp's solo trip to Everest. With no support the entire way, he rode his bike from Norway to Kathmandu, humped all his gear to basecamp, soloed Everest (with no porters), and rode his bike home. I saw his slideshow a little while ago, and the guy is literally off his rocker.

Here's an idea for a story:

Pen you could do the Parkland/Spanaway traverse in your Hummer. Culminating in a heinous ascent of formidable Spire Rock. Then write a book about it. Believe me after that you'll have to hire Caveman and Dru to keep the Betties away from you.

[This message has been edited by jblakley (edited 08-21-2001).]

Yeah Cavie, don't they hang at the Spar Tree Tav. in Gt. Falls? I Love those guys; watch out for the grenades though.

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Dont forget about finishing off the trip with a visit to the ole Harley Hippies
wink.gif

Better the Betties than that damn horny Teddie Ruxpin. Thought Beck was makin like Mr. Chesterfield and satisfyin'.

quote:

Originally posted by jblakley:

Here's an idea for a story:

Pen you could do the Parkland/Spanaway traverse in your Hummer. Culminating in a heinous ascent of formidable Spire Rock. Then write a book about it. Believe me after that you'll have to hire Caveman and Dru to keep the Betties away from you.

[This message has been edited by jblakley (edited 08-21-2001).]

I too love books of great adventure and survival.

Shakleton's own book has a section about the hell the caching team went through.

Kon Tiki and The Ra Expedition by Thor Heyerdahl are both great.

Men Against the Sea is part of the Bounty trilogy and tells of Bligh's trip to East Timor in an open boat after the mutiny. But longer than Shakelton's trip, but of coarse the weather was much warmer. smile.gif

Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana is non-fiction. A great adventure. Read it just before or after you travel the California coast.

[This message has been edited by Dan Harris (edited 08-21-2001).]

"Endurance" by Lansing is my favorite adventure story. Best mountaineering survival tale is "K2 The Savage Mountain" by Charles and Robert Bates. Incredible what these guys did attempting to save one of their own. I wonder if some of today's big expedition climbers would put themselves on the line like these guys did to save one life. No cell phones, no helicopters, no GPS, no Goretex (!)... just some physically and mentally tough dudes.

"Adrift: 76 days at sea".

Dude floated across the Atlantic after his boat sunk within minutes of striking something (whale?) near the Canary islands.

"The Long Walk".

Dudes and dudette walk from Siberia (after escaping from a Gulag) to India across the Gobi.

"Love is a Dog from Hell" by Charles Bukowski. Stories about the sickest "adventure" you may embark on.

Ok, now that I'm home, I'll share a few more:

Yeah, yeah, I'm addicted to these!!!

Eiger, Wall of Death-Arthur Roth: a summary of most of the tragedies on the Mord wand.

Not Without Peril- Nicholas Howe: you'd be surprised how many idiots die on Mt. Washington and the other Presidential mountains in New Hampshire! (New Book)

Annapurna-Maurice Herzog: The book that inspired me to start climbing

The Breach- Rob Taylor: Rob doesn't use the real climber's name that abandons him, but I'll bet Henry Barber knows!

Everest/Alone at the Summit: Stephen Venables: if you're "everested" out, this one is well written and a good story. Small 4 man team tackles the Kangshung face

Blind Faith???- not sure if this is right title, man hikes entire appalachian trail...with a seeing eye dog!

Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls- Ed Leslie: i just picked this one up but its a whole bunch of these type stories; so far so good!

Keep 'em coming!!

another plug for Endurance; and Everest-The West Ridge...this one still inspires me - that Unsoeld and Hornbein could succeed on this route in '63! coupla tough mothers!

and one I found just recently (written for teens, which means my oldest son really found it) - The Broken Blade is the true story of a young man whose voyageur father injured himself cutting firewood, so the boy signed on in his dad's place--what the hey, I'm a sucker for those "coming of age" stories...

Lets get this subject off the Twight thread. It deserves it's own!

Shackleton's story is truly one of the best. Go check out the exhibit currently running at the Burke Museum for some of the original photographs AFTER you read it. Has anyone read the story about the guys who were supposed to meet Shackleton with a cache? Apparantly they went through their own hell also. The Long Walk is good too. Here are some more...

Boon Island by Kenneth Roberts

Heart of the Sea...the true story that gave Melville the basis for Moby Dick

Mauson's Will...incredible survival story in Queen Maud Land while Scott and Amundsen were racing to the pole

High Mountains, Cold Seas....about HW Tilman and his incredible adventures

While I think Touching the Void is also a great story, it certainly isn't the greatest. I find these sea and polar stories fantastic as well. You just have to keep reminding yourself they didn't have goretex, plastic and nylon.....only canvas, wool and fur....bahhhhhh!!!

I'm looking forward to hearing about more adventure books out there...

The Savage Arena Boardman

Everest- The West Ridge Hornbein

Hornbein and another leave the main group to tackle the west ridge. It is considered unclimbable and they hit a wall, if they go for it the only way off the mountain is to summit over unknown terrain and meet the main summit party.

And I think I'm hard! WRONG!