[TR] Mount Hood - Right Pearly Gates??? 4/20/0

sdizzle25

Trip: Mount Hood - Right Pearly Gates???

Date: 4/20/0

Trip Report:

Posting a TR of that ever-so committing and sustained CLASSIC of the south side of hood for 2 reasons: 1. so the trip report section of this website is no longer dedicated to desert cragging and 2. to give anybody looking to get up there during the next weather window i.e. july an idea of current conditions.

low on time (having to get back for a class).

Went for some southside action, thinking we could give the pearlies a go. 'schrund was "open" 4 feet wide in the middle? but crossable just about everywhere due the debris snow bridges. left pearly was literally about 6 inches wide due the the massive amounts of rime ice up there right now, so went to the rarely traveled climbers right passage. snow was perfect step kicking the whole way. tried to get an idea of how the devils kitchen headwall would be. whole lot of snow, my guess the ice would be pretty brittle, but really dont know for sure.

I dont have any photos

Approach Notes:

from silcox up was ice. too icy to skin up, terrible to ski down, though i am certainly not a good skier.

Edited by sdizzle25

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I am very well aware that Mt. Hood is important to thousands of people. Thats why I've been an advocate that Mt. Hood has its own seperate form for years. But when you posted your "TR" so "the trip report section of this website is no longer dedicated to desert cragging" it astonished me. Three smith trs and a trout tr on the first two pages is probably a record. And see the thing is, is that those where real Tr's. All you posted where two sentences about conditions, no pictures (wich make or break a tr unless you can write, and make or break a conditions report unless you can write) and thats it. The best thing you could have done would probably have been to bump one of the literally hundreds of previous south side threads such as this one that was already on the same page, and posted your two senteces about conditions. So ya dude, sorry but I gotta call you out for trying to knock some truely unique content to this site in a shit poor "TR". Hell thats the first ever picnic lunch wall tr and even though Ivans writing style maybe a touch hard to follow at times and maybe not everyones cup of tea, he sure as hell puts forth some effort and rocks it with the pictures and videos. Well continue to post our crappy cragging TRs but inevtibly even with out your posting they will drift to the depths of the fourm coverd up by those hundreds and hundreds of south side "TRs".

Cheers :brew:

uhg. the original statement re: desert cragging made me laugh and obviously was tongue-in-cheek, esp after putting CLASSIC in caps.

happy for the conditions report, we went up 4/22 and broke trail along lee side of hogsback and kicked steps up. fun times, happy to finally have a bit of hood action after progressively crappy weekend conditions for what seemed like months.

cheers guys

A Hood forum would be sweet. I volunteer to be an admin.

It should contain a shitty SS TR thread that we can just add to so that everyone stays current with the EXACT conditions, and at least one sticky covering all the basics such as how many stoves to bring and when to secure yourself to the rope with quickdraws.

Yeah...that would be sweet.

BTW...does anyone know how many ice screws I should bring for the gates, given their current condition? So stoked!

Thanks.

A Hood forum would be sweet. I volunteer to be an admin.

It should contain a shitty SS TR thread that we can just add to so that everyone stays current with the EXACT conditions, and at least one sticky covering all the basics such as how many stoves to bring and when to secure yourself to the rope with quickdraws.

Yeah...that would be sweet.

BTW...does anyone know how many ice screws I should bring for the gates, given their current condition? So stoked!

Thanks.

When do they fix the lines to the summit?