[TR] Chair Peak - NE Buttress ski 4/19/2011

danhelmstadter

Trip: Chair Peak - NE Buttress ski

Date: 4/19/2011

Trip Report:

Yesterday I had the pleasure of climbing and skiing the NE Buttress of Chair Peak with Drew Tabke. We found good ice, and good skiing. Careful snowpack evaluation and safe travel techniques were necessary as there were some weaknesses and loaded areas, though we were blessed with ideal cool and cloudy/sun breaky weather which helped to hold things together while affording visibility for the descent.

It was nice to end the day with a few laps in late day sun at Vantage.

Drew's TR with photos.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=20601.msg87757

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good work Dan!

I strongly suspect it was highly enevitable that the route be skiied. The evolution of alpinism.

Were the NE Buttress of Chair Peak somwhere near Chamonix I have no doubt it would have been skiied some time ago.

However, my comments do nothing to demean your fine skill set, and you guys noting that the conditions were there to make it reasonable for you to do so.

When I climbed it some years back I wouldn't have thought (at that point in time) that it was a potential ski. My how things have changed.

Congrats and all props to you two. Almost makes me want to run up there tomorrow to just check out what tracks may remain.

Keep at it Dan!

Drew and Dan - so freaking rad! This is the year I expect to see many other climbing testpieces fall to your (and others) edges.

Besides the ski, climb; later that same day/evening we assisted Drew closing down the bar in a North SEA taqueria for a triple crown.

Bonus points for the division of labor - one posts on cc.com and one on TAY - that is teamwork. Thanks for the stoke.