greg mortensen, bs artist

lummox

I haven't seen much defending Mortensen that goes beyond the "end justifies the means" logical fallacy.

"He built all these schools, man. Krakauer's built no schools. So therefore it's OK for him to waste money on first class plane tix for speaking engagements and buying copies of his own book to keep it on the bestseller list."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And props to Darsney for issuing a statement in support of Mortenson. :tup:

:lmao: Darsney's statement was the kind of statement of support people underfire can do without

If Greg is misappropriating funds, then show me the luxury cars, fancy boats, and closets full of shoes. This is not a “ministry” or a business gone corrupt. Are there not other NGOs and nonprofits that stray now and then? Don’t they also spend more internally as they get bigger, especially when growing quickly? But their intent and purpose still stay on the course of the mission.

it's great for rallying the cheerleaders though - comeon KirkW I know you can, I know you can!

it's great for rallying the cheerleaders though - comeon KirkW I know you can, I know you can!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Hugh. I think in the end the facts of the situation will speak for themselves. Just like many of Krakauers other stories. Not sure why you guys still find him credible. But I'm just retarded or a fag or something I'm sure.

More

Have fun in your sandbox.

Again, do you have anything other than innuendo regarding Krakauer's poor journalistic skills?

The link you posted was just a rehashing of a link posted in this very thread about five posts previously.

The evidence against Mortenson's financial conversions of CAI capitol and excessive compensation seems very strong.

Yet another view

I'm pretty convinced that Mortensen is not a very good director of a 501c3. I'm also pretty convinced that the purpose of the speaking engagements isn't solely book sales, it's about generating funds for CAI, which will forever be linked to 3 Cups of Tea and Stones into Schools. I still support his mission there. The validity of the events in the book is turning into a he said/he said cluster. Out and out lies? I can't judge that. I do personally know a couple of people who were in very close quarters with Krakauer on Everest. Their take (w/o any motivation to sell their story) is that his version was any where from slightly embellished to pure fiction.

So whatever. Believe what you want.

The validity of the events in the book is turning into a he said/he said cluster.

If you want to read it that way... sure it is. Clearly you do. Nitpicking choice bits of a narrative doesn't revoke the whole - a logical fallacy deployed by all of the opponents of Krakauer it seems.

FWIW I think CAIC's major accomplishment is to provide validation for Western Yuppies.

• 11 months later...

What a thread revivalJon:-)

Anyway,it's about time someone stepped up and got those bullshit 3rd world money wasting schools shut down. It was a stupid idea and no one should be allowed to try such bodacious things anyway. We have enough problems in this country trying to get a decent latte without wasting small sums in squalid 3rd work countries where people don't make as much in a year what we pay for a windshirt or a pack.

And it's damned nice to see that not only has that stupid idea been trashed but at least Krakauer has personally benefited financially from this "expose" in a big way, and not the guy doing the scary and actual work who was putting his dick wayyy out there for guys like Krakauer to safety stomp on from behind the curtains. JK's on the way to being a 1 percenter. Woot! Good to see the money get consolidated. It's the American way baby. Trash those who "do" and "create" and make a buck while doing it.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyway,it's about time someone stepped up and got those bullshit 3rd world money wasting schools shut down.

There's a wonderful charity I learned about on Cascadeclimbers.com long ago called Room To Read www.roomtoread.org that's done a much better job helping 3rd worlders, but a much shittier job promoting their head.

Three Cups of Tea" author Greg Mortenson will remain the face of the charity he co-founded, despite his having to repay $1 million after an investigative report released Thursday concluded he mismanaged the organization and misspent its money.

Isn't an organization I have any desire to donate money to.

Regardless of the issues, I'd like to see the schools continue and expand. It's cheap, effective and powerful juju.

As far as this:

Again, do you have anything other than innuendo regarding Krakauer's poor journalistic skills?

Krakauers earlier attacks and lies against Anatoli Boukreev, no matter if written in ignorance or ineptitude, were enough for me to never be too concerned with believing his integrity and truthfulness of his later stories. I think you can still read and enjoy them, but as far as them being truthful...uhhh. No.

regards to all:

• 6 months later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/business/media/david-oliver-relin-co-author-of-three-cups-of-tea-dies-at-49.html?smid=tw-nytimesworld&seid=auto

"David Oliver Relin, a journalist and adventurer who achieved acclaim as co-author of the best seller “Three Cups of Tea” (2006) and then suffered emotionally and financially as basic facts in the book were called into question, died Nov. 15 in Multnomah County, Ore. He was 49. "

Probable suicide.

I walk by CAI every other day. They share their building with several others and have secured access for obvious reasons.

My opinion is that Greg has done very good work despite the fact that there is some information that is not infallible.

He put himself into a very difficult situation with a mix of fact and creative license and has had to live through a shitstorm while his life was on the line.

If investor's are pissed, it is probably most about the money.

Edited by matt_warfield

If investor's are pissed, it is probably most about the money.

That's kind of how it works.

Agreed.

1) Be a climber

2) Be a climber with a dream like K2

3) Climb K2 and have a big adventure

4) Get lost

5) Help some people; and remember some is better than none

6) Write a book that mixes a bit of creativity with truth

7) Make millions off that work and for a related charity

8) Screw up the finances that separate church and state

9) Have heart problems

10) Look up the definition of "villified"

BS or not, he did more good for this world than most of us have.

And it is slippery slope from being a climber to being an author to being a wounded author.