Questions comments or thoughts on the Dynafit TLs?

Dane

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a pair of the 5-mountains a few weeks ago. I've done a few day trips in them, and spent last week skiing them up in the canadian rockies. For me, they are amazing. I have them paired with some 90mm waist 172cm karhus and it seems like a well matched combo. I drive my bigger skis with a pair of dynafit Titans. The titans are noticeably stiffer, but at much higher weight and reduced touring comfort. I'll probably keep using the titans for driving my bigger skis on short powder tours and at the resort. I havent done any technical climbing in the boots yet, but I imagine they'd be adequate, and probably better than most other ski boot options.

Hey Dane,

Got just got my tlt5 mountains and will be skiing them starting wednesday (work till then). So far they have been amazing - weight, walk mode and ski mode. I plan to use them as much as possible, for both skiing (obviously) and climbing (skinning, steep snow, scrambling). I'll let you know how they perform.

Sky is posting a review of the TLT5 Performance here shortly but the feedback I've heard from him has been really positive. We are also putting up a review of the Plum Guide binding tomorrow. I've had a few days of hard skiing on the Plum, and while I'm new to tech setups I can tell you it is a bomber binding.

I've been skiing with a pair of TLT5 boots this winter.

The pair of boots is two pounds lighter than my old Garmont boots. The sole of the boot has a rocker form which helps when walking.

The new system they came up with makes climbing better. You unlock the upper buckle and remove the boot tongue when climbing. This gives your ankle a flexibility like a pair of hightop hiking boots (lots of movement). When you ski you stick the tongues back in the boots and lock down. At that point the boots are now stiff ski boots.

One problem I have had is narrow boot width. I ended up taking them to a boot fitter to resolve this problem. Apparently everybody in Europe has narrow feet.

One other issue I have noticed is there isn't quite enough padding on the ankle of the boot liner. I've noticed a couple rips in liner fabric. I did buy the low end model due to cost. Perhaps the carbon fiber model doesn't have that problem.

2 day tours in...they tour and ski great. Today I actually booted around a little bit. Felt just like my baturas or really an good mountaineering boot. No comments on technical climbing but hopefully later this spring will be doing some of that.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd bump this up...

Probably up to 15+ days of touring now since I purchased them in mid april.

Used them for long days of touring, tight/steep descents, booting up steep snow, scrambling rock, etc

Still have been very pleased with their performance. I have one tight spot that hopefully I can get punched out.

My everyday ski with 186 cm and 102 mm underfoot with vertical ST's. They have worked well. Recently I have been using the TLT5's to drive my bigger skis (193 cm and 115 mm underfoot) with FFR+ and have been pleased with the skiing.

Hey Kevin, thanks for the feed back. I have been skiing the TlT 5s now since April as well.

I am very impressed with all three boots, specially with the TLT 5 TF.

Biggest ski I am using is a 105 underfoot and 188cm. Easily skied without the tongue in the Performance which I do 99.9% of the time. I generally use the tongue for the down in both the Mountain versions.

I also like (really like) the Mountain TF (foam Palau liner) without the tongue on a pair of super light 165s with 80cm under foot. But easy to ski a soft boot there and I like soft boots generally these days. At 6# for both skis and bindings it is an easy rig for boot pack or skinning like your run from Muir to the bridge!

Still working on the longest blog post I have ever done for the TLT 5 review. Most fun toys I have had in some time ;) If they weren't so much fun no way in hell I would have skied them in some of the nasty conditions we have had since April!

Like the foot of new we had a week ago.

P1030382.JPG

P1030149.JPG