Is resoling rock shoes worth it?

Buckshot

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is totally worth it to resole rock shoes, especially if you like the shoes. I usually pay about $40 for a half sole/rerand at Dave Page, but I haven't had to resole a pair in a while. I have heard that doing the sole is not super difficult, but if you need the rand redone it becomes a much more involved process and costs only and extra $10 for the pair if you are having the half sole done.

Everyone has their favorite re-soler. Dave Page has done good to excellent work for me on neary 20 rock and climbing boot resoles. Only one job I was not happy with, which was really my fault, I had let the toe wear through the leather.

DPS, genepires, the prices you guys are quoting is not for a hole repair.

In my opinion, if you can see your toes, it's time to retire the shoes.

This is what Mountain Soles has to say about hole repairs on climbing shoes: "Please note if you have a hole that goes all the way through your rand and leather (so that you can see your toes), you might be out of luck. We can often fix these problems and it adds a little to the cost of a resole. However, if the shoe is in really bad shape we might recommend that you buy a new pair of shoes."

Chad

I'll echo Rudy and say I've had nothing but good work and fast turnaround from Ramuta. Its important who the technician is who does the work, a larger outfit like the Rubber Room or such can have a number of employees, and not all are equal in terms of craftsmanship. I like that when I send my shoes to Ramuta I know it's not going to wind up a training project for the new kid, he's a one man shop.

Which is not saying that other shops don't do great work, or that a shop's quality doesn't improve. I used Mountain Soles for years when they were based in Trout Lake, classic mail your stuff in to an experienced shoe guy outfit. They sold the business, and I must have had a beloved pair of old Hueco's resoled there shortly after the business changed hands. Toes delaminated in under 10 days of climbing, and I never went back. From what I've heard, it sounds like Mountain Soles has their act more together now.

I've had shoes resoled and when they came back the fit was not the same as previous, which was dissappointing. Is this common, or was I just the victim of a bad resole job? BTW, it was done by a popular and recommended (specifically for climbing shoes) place in Vancouver - Gold Star Shoe Repair on Dunbar near 16th

Edited by bstach

bad resole job, bstach...if done properly and the shoe is sent in before its totally destroyed the shoes damn near come back better than new.

I'll relate two of my personal experiences as examples of where craftsmanship comes into play:

From my experience, Page's comes back totally blunt nosed and shit...i think he used a tennis ball as the last...wtf, it happened two times in a row and then the kicker...I sent him a pair of LaSportiva Futuras (best edging shoe for me ever!!) to resole. They don't make these anymore and i was super careful with them. The beauty of that shoe was that it actually had TWO soles, one was a main full length sole, the second was a thin half sole mounted to the front. The theory was that you wore through that outer sole, then resole the shoe. Done this way the shoe would literally last a decade. They were mid ankle high so great for wider cracks and i'd redpointed 5.13's at smith in them...anyway I sent them to Page with a very very detailed note saying "PLEASE PLEASE don't remove the full sole, only the half front sole, if you don't understand Please call me at XXXXXX", I then had a personal conversation with him about this on the spot before handing my cherished shoes over......Goddammit he pulled the whole thing apart and that was that...f-him, i'm never going back to him again and will shit talk that operation any chance i get...I don't know if he personally did the work or one of his workers was sniffing too much glue...

Ramuta, on the other hand, is simply amazing. An example is a pair of shoes (again no longer made) that are my son's. These were the velcro dragon by 5.10 in a size 2. Yes, a 2!! For those that don't know, Drew is a small small guy, but his footwork is amazing and he uses a downturned shoe very well. Anyway, Ramuta crafted an insert to place into the front of this shoe to maintain the downturned toe when he resoled. Kid wound up winning ABS bouldering nationals in his age bracket on that very resoled shoe. This same shoe is now queued up for Drew's younger brother to use in about 6 months...

In short...go to Ramuta, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by RuMR

Noob question:

Was given two pairs of rock shoes with holes in the toes. Is it worth while to have them resoled? Whats it cost? Is a resole kit a better idea? Thanks.

ramuta's

I'd call John Ramuta and explain what you've got. I doubt he'd take something on that wasn't a go.

Just got my Solutions back from him, and they are, no hyperbole, better than when I first got 'em. His edge is superior to the factory edge, and he preserved the fit perfectly. Pretty nice when the shoes fits me just right, costs a buck fitty per pair, and are built to probably go through quite a few resoles.

I had such a sour experience at dave page's over a decade ago that i'd never go back.

I have had Dave Page do a few pair and was lucky they all turned out. If you want them done well - as stated above, send them to John Ramuta. He used to be at the family owned shoe repair at 6th & Stewart in Seattle - but he now resides in Montana. Believe me the shipping is worth it and about the same in gas prices. He is on the web at www.ramutaresoles.com - you can also find resolers in the climbing magazines, but Ramuta is the best. :tup:

Awesome advice thanks. Know of any good resolers in central/Eastern Wa? I'm in Moses Lake.

Cascade Cobbler in Mazama. http://cascadecobbler.com/

James has done 2 pairs my shoes and done excellent work.

I've heard this guy does good work and I'm going to give him a try. Ramuta indeed does a good job, but it will be cool to throw the local guy some bizness.

I've been nothing with stoked on the Cascade Cobbler (several pairs now)...always a really quick turn around as well.

So is Ramuta's back in town then? I used to go with them until they "moved to Montana", which is when I switched to CC.

I've used Dave Page, John Ramuta and James at Cascade Cobbler. Page's crew fucked up a pair of shoes, Ramuta does/has done excellent work, and James does work on par with or better than Ramuta, but faster and for less.

Yeah, I'm a local, but I'd still send my shoes to Ramuta if James didn't do as good/better work for less.

I have had Dave Page do a few pair and was lucky they all turned out. If you want them done well - as stated above, send them to John Ramuta. He used to be at the family owned shoe repair at 6th & Stewart in Seattle - but he now resides in Montana. Believe me the shipping is worth it and about the same in gas prices. He is on the web at www.ramutaresoles.com - you can also find resolers in the climbing magazines, but Ramuta is the best. :tup:
Fixed yer linky! its ramutaSresoles, not ramutaresoles.com Edited by RuMR